HEADLINES

Christmas Morning Fire Injures Two, Destroys Southport Home

FAIRFIELD, CT - On Monday morning Dec. 25, at 3:28am, Fairfield’s Emergency Communications Center received a call reporting a house on fire at 459 Morehouse Lane in the Southport section of Fairfield. The caller shared that all the occupants had escaped and that one occupant jumped from a second floor window and sustained minor injuries.

Within ten minutes of notification, the first firefighters arrived on scene, under the command of Lt. Philip Higgins. They found the home heavily involved in fire. All available on-duty personnel and equipment were summoned. Other local fire departments provided help, including the Westport Fire Department, which assisted with establishing a water supply down the long and narrow adjacent roadway; the Red Cross and Milford Fire Department Canteen, which supported the family and responders during the night’s frigid temperatures; and the Bridgeport Fire Dept., which provided station coverage.

At the time of the fire, seven people were asleep in the residence. Two residents who sustained injuries were transported to a local hospital by American Medical Response.

The Fire Prevention Division will be conducting an investigation, though it is believed the fire started from open flames, perhaps a candle. 

Chief Denis McCarthy, reflecting on the incident, advised, “We would like all our residents to test their smoke alarms and please be attentive to open flames, candle usage and fire places during this holiday season."

Subscribe

Follow Redding HamletHub