"Congrats to our very own "Elite Eight" on signing their commitments to @NCAA member schools," Ridgefield Athletic Director, Dane Street tweeted @Ridgefieldad.
Today, November 15, 2017, was the National Letter of Intent Signing Day Ceremony at Ridgefield High School. Eight Division I NCAA college-bound athletes, 3 women and 5 men, participated in that ceremony.
Recruited athletes sign National Letters of Intent (NLI)—agreements recruited athletes make with Division I and II universities to attend a full year of college in exchange for one year of athletics-based financial aid. As long as the recruit completes the school’s application process, an NLI essentially guarantees admission to a college. Unlike other Division I NCAA schools, Ivy League institutions do not offer athletic scholarships and therefore cannot have committed recruits sign National Letters of Intent.
Members of the RHS Class of 2018 who participated in the ceremony are:
- Caroline Curnal will attend Lafayette College for women's lacrosse
- Katie Pieterse will attend Yale University for women's field hockey
- Maddy Siegel will attend the University of Connecticut for women's crew
- Simon Preston will attend American University for men's wrestling
- Luke Gaydos will attend Brown University for men's lacrosse
- Greg Gatto will attend Yale University for men's lacrosse
- Kieran Smith will attend the University of Florida for men's swimming
- AJ Bornstein will attend the University of Michigan for men's swimming
Shown in the photo are (bottom, l to r) Caroline Curnal, Katie Pieterse, Maddy Siegel, Simon Preston, (top, l to r) Luke Gaydos, Greg Gatto, Kieran Smith and AJ Bornstein.
RHS expects to have a few more members of the Class of 2018 sign National Letters of Intent in the future.
Photo courtesy of Ridgefield Athletic Director, Dane Street via twitter @Ridgefieldad