At its weekly Tuesday luncheon meeting at Moscato in Scarsdale on January 12, 2016, the Scarsdale Rotary Club honored seven local charities and presented them with checks. The charities honored at the luncheon are:
- Afya Foundation (Yonkers, NY): Founded by Scarsdale resident Danielle Butin, Afya recovers surplus medical equipment and distributes them to countries in need in Africa, Greece and Haiti.
- Heartsong, Inc. (White Plains, NY): A provider of music and art therapy for children with special needs and for seniors. The grant to Heartsong was matched by a Rotary District grant to provide the facility with additional funding for sensory equipment.
- Girls Inc of Westchester (White Plains, NY): Inspiring girls to be strong, smart and bold and supporting those from low-income communities with opportunities such as STEM, college readinesss and academic support.
- Make A Wish of Hudson Valley (Tarrytown, NY): Making dreams come true for children with life-threatening illnesses.
- My Sister’s Place (White Plains, NY): Providing support to victims of domestic violence and human trafficking.
- Ronald McDonald House (Valhalla, NY): Providing families with affordable and comfortable housing and support when children face critical illnesses requiring long-term hospital stays.
- Scarsdale Congregational Church, Youth Action Committee (Scarsdale NY): A teen service a group of teens from Scarsdale and surrounding communities. This grant will fund a partial scholarship for a teen to travel with the Youth Group in April 2016 for a week of service on the Pine Ridge Reservation in SD.
“The 2015 grant cycle was the most competitive process ever,” said Scarsdale Rotary Club President Cynthia Dunne, “and we are incredibly grateful for the careful efforts of the Grant’s Committee, Chaired by Fire Chief Thomas Cain, along with Committee and Club members Doug Metz, Garrett Capobianco and Lauren Mintzer. The grantees represent a diverse range of good works around the region, the country and the world. The Rotary Club appreciates the public’s support of its fundraising efforts, which make events like Tuesday’s luncheon possible.”
The Scarsdale Rotary Club hosts an Annual Wine Tasting Fundraiser each Spring which funds the Club’s outreach efforts and grants. The 2016 event will take place on March 31, 2016 at the Scarsdale Woman’s Club from 6-9 PM. Representatives from five designated charity partners have been pre-selected as automatic recipients of larger grants and will be available to answer questions about their work.
The 2016 five charity partners are: The Greenburgh Nature Center (Scarsdale, NY): a 33-acre nature preserve with an emphasis on environmental sustainability and conservation; Lakota Children’s Enrichment (Scarsdale NY and Pine Ridge SD): founded by Scarsdale resident Maggie Dunne, amplifies the voices of America’s indigenous youth and provides enrichment and service opportunities on the Pine Ridge Reservation in SD; Scarsdale & Edgemont Family Counseling Services (Scarsdale NY): provides support to youth, families, teens and elders in the local communities; The Scarsdale Foundation (Scarsdale NY): recognizes community volunteers and civic engagement and provides scholarship support to students in higher education; and the Scarsdale Volunteer Ambulance Corps (Scarsdale NY): provides the community with essential ambulance and paramedic services.
As in prior years, almost all services for the event are donated by local businesses. Profits also will fund a Haiti water filtration project, Rotary Club activities at Children’s Village, the next cycle of competitive grants, and leadership and scholarship opportunities for Scarsdale High School students. Further details will be released closer to the event.
To learn more about the Scarsdale Rotary Club, or to purchase sponsorships and/or tickets to the March 31, 2016 event, please visit the Club’s website at https://scarsdalerotary.org/