The Health Department launched its annual larvicide application program this week to reduce the mosquito population and prevent mosquito-borne diseases. Workers from All Habitat Inc. applied larvicide to various standing water locations around the city, which prevents mosquito eggs from hatching.
The larvicide application is just one part of the Health Department’s mosquito management program. Another very important aspect is helping residents understand how to protect themselves from mosquito bites. To avoid getting bitten:
- Apply mosquito repellent before going outdoors.
- Drain stagnant water in old tires, birdbaths, wading pools, garbage can lids, and cans in recycle bins.
- Keep gutters and leaders free of debris.
- Install or repair window and door screens to keep mosquitoes out of your home.
- Do not leave swimming pools uncovered without chlorinating and filtering.