FORStratford.org announced today that the group will conduct a rally on Monday April 28, 2014 starting at 6:30pm at Town Hall at the last 2015 budget public hearing. The event is focused on more citizens participating in these public hearings to address fiscal issues, ask questions and raise awareness before the Town Council votes on the mayor's pr...oposed budget and sewer fee increases.The Town Council is expected to vote on 2015 proposed budget on Monday May 12, 2014. This will be the last public hearing before that vote takes place. "Many of us remember the story of Helen of Troy – 'the face that launched a thousand ships' – we want our April 28th rally to be the event that results in thousands of citizens demanding tax reform and greater fiscal accountability from local government," says FORStratford.org Director Henry Bruce.
"The great recession hit Stratford residents hard financially as it did the rest of the country, but this administration's fiscal record is hitting us even harder. Both political parties created the current mess. Its time for them to come together to find real solutions to help our struggling community", continues Mr. Bruce. The group sites the following stats just since 2010 as evidence of the need for reform and fiscal accountability:
* Sewer bills have doubled and are expected to rise another 26% to $475 annually.
* Property taxes have increased 14-17% with another 5.7% being proposed.
* Debt has doubled to over $390 million with more expected for the new high school.
* The school budget rises, but does not address standards such as Common Core.
* The rate of residential foreclosures is rising rapidly with no end in sight.
* Economic development has not kept pace with these tax and debt increases.
FORStratford.org expects a large turnout of concerned citizens who will meet in front of Town Hall on Monday April 28th at 6:30pm. Those who wish to speak must register starting at 6:45pm. Every speaker will be allowed 3-5 minutes to address the Town Council. The public hearing will start at 7:00 pm.
For further information about the "Tax Reform NOW" rally and FORStratford.org, please go to http://www.facebook.com/FORStratford, or follow us on twitter @FORStratford.