Special Education Law Attorney Lawrence W. Berliner, Dr. Mark Beitel, and Lauren Seltzer, LMFT will be the featured speakers at a parent workshop titled Taking Ownership of Your Child’s Education When Your Child Refuses to Go to School: A Workshop about School Refusal, Anxiety, and How to Move Forward.
The FREE workshop, open to the public, will take place on Tuesday, December 5, 2017 from 7:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. at The Westport Day School, which is located at 372 Danbury Road, Suite 190, in Wilton, Conn. The Westport Day School is a private therapeutic day school for students in grades six through twelve and postgraduate year.
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately 25% of American teenagers will be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and 6% will receive a severe diagnosis. More teenagers than ever are suffering from severe anxiety. This workshop will address these growing trends, help parents understand the reasons why their child refuses to go to school, find an appropriate education, and discuss how a therapeutic placement can offer a supportive learning environment.
Focus of the workshop:
- Special education laws and your child’s rights
- Top 10 Checklist: Strategies for the school year and beyond
- Turning Point: The parents’ road ahead when their child’s rights are denied by the school
- School Refusal: Understanding what’s behind a child who refuses to go to school
- How to re-engage a child in an appropriate supportive learning environment
- Tackling anxiety issues
- Models of Therapeutic Education: The Westport Day School and Grove School
Attorney Lawrence Berliner is a special education law attorney at the Law Office of Lawrence W. Berliner, LLC in Westport and Guilford, Conn. Dr. Mark Beitel is the Co-Founder of The Westport Day School in Wilton, Conn. Lauren Seltzer, LMFT is the Director of Admissions and Assistant Clinical Director at Grove School, a private therapeutic boarding and day school for students in grades seven through twelve and postgraduate year in Madison, Conn.