KOOKING with your KIDS
A monthly adventure sponsored by Putnam CTC
April – Spring Fling Month
There was a tie for this month’s recipe – they are the Carrot shaped Calzone and the Easy Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
FUN SPRING FOOD: CARROT SHAPED CALZONE Dough Recipe
1 1/2 c. warm (105-115 degrees) water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
3-4 1/2 c. flour
In a large bowl, combine water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes or until yeast is bubbly.
Add salt, olive oil and stir. Add 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Add italian seasoning to dough. Gradually add all the flour until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and
it barely sticks to your finger.
Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl.Cover and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
Remove from bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Cover a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper.
Filling for Calzones
3/4cps shredded Mozzarella
1/2cp shredded Cheddar
1/4 cp sundried tomatoes w/its oil
2 tsp Garlic seasoning
3 tsp Italian Seasoning
Olive oil for brushing on
1 tbl parmesan
1. Mix all of the ingredients above.
2. Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut in a wide triangle shape and begin this process:
3. For orange calzones mix about 25 drops of yellow and a couple of drops of red and brush on to calzone.
4. Bake at 350 for 30-35mins
5. Place on plate and insert parsley, cilantro at the top end.
Easy Strawberry Banana Ice Cream
3 bananas cut into chunks and frozen 1 cup of strawberries
1⁄2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Optional sweetener to taste (but the fruit alone can be sweet enough) or you can serve with a chocolate syrup.
Blend in blender or food processor until well mixed and creamy. Freeze for an hour or two and serve as ‘ice cream’.
Conversation Starters ( 3 way tie)
1. What is your favorite thing about season changing? Smells? Warmth? Greening?
2. If you could invent any holiday, what would you call it and how would it be celebrated?
3. What would you do if you won the lottery?