Here is a perfect sweet Valentine's Day treat recipe from Dessert for Two. 5 minute and 5 ingredient easy chocolate mousse for two.
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 5 ounces milk chocolate chips (heaping 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- First, separate the egg and have the egg yolk ready in a bowl nearby.
- Next, pour the heavy cream in a medium bowl, and place it in the fridge with the electric beaters. (We're pre-chilling to speed up whipping time).
- The rest of the recipe needs to be completely quickly.
- Next, melt the chocolate: In a medium glass bowl, add the chocolate chips and butter. Turn the microwave power down to 50%, and microwave for 20 seconds. Stop and stir. Repeat until about 2/3 of the chocolate chips are melted. For the remaining chips to melt, slowly and gently stir the mixture with a wooden spoon. The residual heat of the bowl will melt the rest. The mixture should be smooth. (If the mixture is pasty or grainy, you have burned the chocolate, and you must start over). Stir in the egg yolk.
- Once the chocolate is melted: work quickly! Whip the cream in the pre-chilled bowl using an electric mixer on high with the pre-chilled beaters. Once the cream has soft peaks, add the powdered sugar and add all of the melted chocolate. If the chocolate has started to firm up slightly, you're fine--just work fast.
- Beat the chocolate into the cream mixture until fully incorporated, about 15 seconds maximum.
- Divide the mousse between two serving dishes.
- Serve immediately, or chill it for up to 3 days but bring it to room temperature for an hour before serving (it will harden as it chills).