Every year, charity regulators from around the word get together to raise awareness about charity fraud. The FTC joins this effort again this year because it’s so important to know how to spot a charity scam. The more you know, the less likely you’ll donate to a bogus charity. Better yet, you’ll make sure your money is helping in the way you intended.
- How to report charity scams — and why it matters (Hint: go to ReportFraud.ftc.gov)
- Research charities before you donate (Hint: go to ftc.gov/charity)
- How to avoid scams when donating to charity in times of disaster (Hint: go to ftc.gov/weatheremergencies)
- Donating safely through crowdfunding or social media (Hint: go to ftc.gov/crowdfunding)
- Resources for charities to keep their computers and network secured (Hint: go to ftc.gov/cybersecurity)