Seasonal lifeguard positions are available at DEC campgrounds. The current hourly starting rate for New York State lifeguards is $20 an hour, and most DEC facilities offer free housing or site accommodations.
Candidates who qualify will be considered for employment. The qualifying procedure consists of two parts: a Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) skills component; and a water skills evaluation. Candidates may attend the qualifying location most convenient to them and the results will be forwarded to their preferred work location.
At the time of employment, all DEC lifeguards must:
- Be at least 15 years old;
- Possess a valid certification in Waterfront Skills, Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR for the Professional Rescuer or equivalent;
- Successfully completed the New York State lifeguard qualifying procedure;
- Submitted a current New York State DEC medical form stating the candidate's physical ability to perform lifeguard duties;
- Meet the vision requirement of 20/70 uncorrected in both eyes and be correctable to the 20/40 standard. Candidates tested at a vision level below 20/40 in either one or both eyes must correct to a minimum of 20/40 with 20/20 preferred;
- Completed a personal interview with DEC; and
- Attended a DEC lifeguard orientation.