This week, Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney (NY-18) voted to pass H.R. 5914, the Empowering States to Protect Seniors from Bad Actors Act, legislation to increase protections against scams and protect seniors’ savings. Rep. Maloney has been a leading advocate in the effort to address predatory robocalls and other malicious scam techniques.
“As scammers use increasingly sophisticated tricks to target our seniors, it's essential that we invest in tools to combat their scams and protect seniors' hard-earned savings,” said Rep. Maloney. “This week, I was proud to help pass legislation to better protect seniors from scams. The Empowering States to Protect Seniors from Bad Actors Act will go directly after scammers by increasing the resources available to investigators and will help protect seniors by investing in anti-fraud, educational programs.”
"Because seniors find it hard to imagine why anyone would deliberately take advantage of them, they often become a target of the unscrupulous,” said Vincent Begley, Local Senior and Member of Rep. Maloney’s Senior Advisory Board. “Thanks to Representative Sean Maloney's efforts to successfully pass legislation to protect seniors like me from fraud and financial scams, a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I stand behind my Congressman because he stands behind me.”
“As a coordinator for a town of Newburgh senior program, I hear this all the time. Our seniors worried about being scammed out of their savings and needing help to identify scams,” said Anita Manley, Coordinator, Town of Newburgh Friends of Seniors. “Thank you to Congressman Maloney for taking the necessary steps to resolve these issues.”
Background on H.R. 5914 Empowering States to Protect Seniors from Bad Actors Act:
- H.R. 5914 was passed with bipartisan support by a vote of 371 – 48.
- The Empowering States to Protect Seniors from Bad Actors Act will:
- Invest $10 million annually for investigative staff, technology, and training for law enforcement.
- Invest in equipment and increase the number of regulators to educate seniors on financial fraud.
- Create a Senior Investor Protection Grant Program to protect investors.
- Full text of the legislation is available here