COVID boosters are in the headlines these days. The PCDOH wants to help by presenting some clear and concise information about COVID boosters in Putnam County:
- The Pfizer two-dose COVID vaccine is the only one approved to be followed by a booster shot at this time.
- Data is still being collected on the need for boosters for both the Moderna and J&J vaccines.
- At this time, PCDOH is only offering Pfizer boosters for immune-compromised individuals at its regular immunization clinics.
- Eligible recipients for a Pfizer booster should go to their healthcare provider or pharmacy. Go to VACCINES.GOV and search by vaccine type. Eligible recipients include:
- individuals 65 years of age and older, and residents in long-term care settings
- individuals 50-64 years of age with underlying medical conditions
- individuals 18-49 years of age with underlying medical conditions, based on individual benefit and risks. (This can be based on shared clinical decision-making and encourages, but does not require, prior consultation with a provider before administration of a booster dose.)
- individuals 18-64 years of age who are at increased risk for COVID-19 exposure and transmission because of occupational or institutional setting, based on their individual benefits and risks.
For a complete eligibility list, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/booster-shot.html