Watch what you heat! 47% of all home fires are caused by cooking, making it the number one cause of home fires. Preventing a burn injury is always better than the pain and trauma of medical treatment afterward.
- The best time to cook is when you are wide awake, and not drowsy from medication or alcohol.
- Always wipe clean the stove, oven, and exhaust fan to prevent grease buildup.
- Wear short or close-fitted sleeves when cooking.
- Keep a pan lid and dry potholders or oven mitts near you EVERY time you cook.
- Turn the pot or pan handles towards the back of the stove.
- When heating food in the microwave, use microwave-safe cookware that allows steam to escape.
- Allow food to rest before removing it from the microwave.
- When frying, use a pan lid or splash guard to prevent grease splatter.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave, turn off the stove.
- If you are simmering, baking, roasting, or boiling food, check it regularly. Remain in the home while food is cooking and use a timer to remind you to check on you're cooking.
- After cooking, check the kitchen to make sure all burners and other appliances are turned off.
If your food does catch fire
- Cover the pan with its lid. A cookie sheet works too. Leave covered until the pan is cool. NEVER move the pot or carry it outside- the pot is too hot to handle, and contents may splash, causing a severe burn.
- Turn the heat off. With the lid on and the heat off, the fire should quickly put itself out. NEVER use water to put out a kitchen fire. Water will cause the oil to splash and spread the fire or scald you as it vaporizes.
- If the fire is inside the oven or microwave, keep the door shut and turn it off. Keep closed until the oven is cool.
- If the fire gets out of control-GET OUT, stay out, and call 911. Don't return inside for any reason.
Should the unfortunate occur, and you find yourself in need of fire restoration, SERVPRO is here to help you recover and restore the damage done to your home or office. Call us at 845.228.1090, we’re available 24⁄7 for emergency help.