Blood supplies often dip critically low during the winter months, with increased demand and a drop in donations.
The HG Project SHARE Spring Blood Drive will take place on Wednesday, March 4th between 7:45am and 1:45pm at Horace Greeley High School in the Academic Commons.
Walk-In Welcome. . .Or you can sign up to donate blood at a time that is convenient for you.
Who Can Donate. . .
- You must be between 16 and 75 years of age.
- All students, regardless of age, will require parental permission or consent on the New York Blood Center form available online in English and Spanish.
- If age 76 or over, you may donate with a note from your physician.
- You must weigh at least 110 pounds. If you have medical eligibility questions, please call 1-800-688-0900.
- Please eat and be well hydrated before donating.
- Please bring identification with photo or signature.
Before your Blood Donation. . .
- Get plenty of sleep the night before you plan to donate.
- Eat a healthy meal before your donation.
- Avoid fatty foods, such as hamburgers, French fries or ice cream before donating. Tests for infections done on all donated blood can be affected by fats that appear in your blood for several hours after eating fatty foods.
- Drink an extra 16 ounces of water and other fluids before the donation.
- If you are a platelet donor, remember that you must not take aspirin for two days prior to donating. Otherwise, you can take your normal medications as prescribed.