New Castle Storm Recovery Update
As of 5PM, 4,022 New Castle households are without power, out of 6,800 total households. This number only goes up – No customers have been restored in New Castle. And, yes, this is unbelievable and unacceptable! This was one of the most destructive storms in recent memory and we are experiencing a staggering, widespread, and prolonged outage.
The focus of our advocacy on behalf of the Town is to GET MORE CREWS to New Castle and to BEGIN RESTORATION activities as soon as possible. Con Edison typically works in two separate phases: first, they cut and clear trees, re-open roads, and to de-energize wires; second, they begin restoring power to residents and businesses in our community. Our urgent request is that they run both phases concurrently, rather than waiting for all cut and clear work to be completed before beginning restoration.
We have also pushed Con Edison to acknowledge the extent of the outages in Northern Westchester and to stop favoring lower Westchester communities where they can meet restoration “numbers” with less effort on their part. We continue to push, to fight, and to make clear that we will not be silent when it comes to the health and safety of our community!
Updates from ConEdison
Earlier today Deputy Supervisor Jeremy Saland, Town Administrator Jill Shapiro and I attended the daily Con Edison Municipal Call. The following are the key topics discussed:
- According to Con Edison, approximately 131,000 customers lost power in the storm and 53,000 customers have been restored so far. Unfortunately, none of those restorations have been in New Castle, and our colleagues in Northern Westchester expressed the same frustrations.
- A global estimated time to restoration (ETR) has been set by Con Edison: the “vast majority” of customers will be restored by 11PM on Sunday 8/9. Con Edison acknowledges that some customers’ outages will extend into next week, and some will be restored before Sunday. I want to note that in past storms we have experienced these ETRs as a moving target. We have also seen that Northern Westchester communities are often the last to be restored. Please plan accordingly.
- Con Edison says that Countywide 568 roads were closed due to storm damage: 137 roads have been cleared so far, with 431 still pending. Crews are out working today on re-opening roads.
- Con Edison currently has 318 overhead line personnel and 90 service personnel working in the field. Con Edison continues to request additional resources and anticipates an additional 256 workers by tomorrow.
- Con Edison acknowledged that municipalities are NOT to blame for road closures. Local DPWs cannot clear trees that are touching wires. Con Edison is responsible!
- Lastly, Con Edison asks residents to exercise caution when entering and existing their vehicles. Take note of obstructions, things under the vehicle, etc. to avoid accidents.
Con Edison Crews in New Castle
Late yesterday Con Edison finally arrived in New Castle. Last night Con Edison crews worked overnight with the Town’s DPW team to complete the work needed to re-open Croton Avenue and Mill River Road, in addition to work that was completed during the day yesterday to re-open Quaker Road (SR 120), Bedford Rd (SR 117), and Whippoorwill Road. Work continued today with Con Edison crews working with DPW to re-open roads at the following locations: Alpine Lane, Campfire Road, Mountain Peak Road, Griggs Lane, Sheather Road, Tripp Road, Gregory Lane, and Shinglehouse Road.
There are currently 69 roads that are fully or partially closed, or where there are potentially live wires – almost all of these roads are closed due to downed wires or trees resting on wires. As a reminder, our DPW cannot remove trees that are touching wires. That work must be performed by Con Edison. Current closures
• 48/63 BREVOORT PL - LIVE WIRES DOWN
• 6 ALLAPARTUS RD (CROSS STREET: SPRINGVALLEY RD) - TREE ON WIRES ACROSS RD
• 9 BARNES RD - TREE /WIRES DOWN
• BARNES RD (CROSS STREET: SOMERSTOWN RD) - POLE /WIRES DOWN
• 14 BIRCH DR - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• BIRCH LN (CROSS STREET: HOLLOW OAK RD) - BRANCH ON WIRES
• 12 BROOK LANE - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• 9 CAROL DR (CROSS STREET: LOIS PL) - LIVE WIRES DOWN
• 17 COMMODORE RD - TREE IN WIRES/DOWN
• 25 COMMODORE RD - TREE IN WIRES/DOWN
• 85 COMMODORE RD (CROSS STREET: QUAKER RD) - TREE DOWN
• 123 COMMODORE RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 3 & 7 DEVOE RD (CROSS STREET: KING ST ) - LOW HANGING WIRE ON ROAD
• DEVOE RD (CROSS STREET: NORTH PLACE) - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• DOUGLAS RD (CROSS STREET: KIPP) - WIRES DOWN
• 11&14 ELIZABETH ST - TREE/ POLE DOWN
• 14 FROG ROCK RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 21 GAREY DR (CROSS STREET: BUTTONHOOK RD) - LOW HANGING WIRE ON ROAD
• 10 GLENDALE RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 78 GLENDALE RD (CROSS STREET: SPRING VALLEY RD) - DAMAGED POLE/ WIRES
• 97 GLENDALE RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 38 GREGORY LANE (CROSS STREET: SHINGLEHOUSE RD) - TREE ON WIRES
• 60 HAIGHTS CROSS RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 117 HAMILTON RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 290 HAMILTON RD - TREE DOWN
• 1022 HARDSCRABBLE RD - WIRE ACROSS ROAD
• 1070 HARDSCRABBLE RD (CROSS STREET: TANGLEWILD RD) - TREE ON WIRES/POLE
• HARDSCRABBLE RD (CROSS STREET: DEEPWOOD) - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• HIGH RIDGE RD - TREE DOWN
• 29 HITCHING POST - WIRES DOWN
• HUGHES LN - TREE/Wires Blocking Access
• 7 INNINGWOOD RD - TREE IN WIRES
• 34 INNINGWOOD RD (CROSS STREET: PINESBRIDGE) - TREE ON WIRES/POLE
• 10 IVY HILL RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 34 JAMES RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 83 KIPP - TREE ON WIRES
• 26 KISCO PARK DR - TREE ON WIRES
• 8 KITTLE ROAD - TREE/WIRE DOWN
• 19 LEROY RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 15 MARCOURT DR (CROSS STREET: QUAKER RD) - TREE/ PRIMARY DOWN
• 95 MARCOURT DR - TREE ON HOUSE
• MAYBERRY RD (CROSS STREET: MAYBERRY CLOSE) -
• 23 MCKESSON HILL (CROSS STREET: ROARING BROOK RD) - TREE ON WIRES
• 75 OAK HILL RD - WIRE DOWN & LOW WIRE
• 215 OLD MILL RD - WIRE ON ROAD
• OLD ROARINGBROOK RD (CROSS STREET: BRANDON DR) - TREE LEANING ON WIRES
• 18 PAULDING DR - TREE DOWN
• 74 PAULDING DR - LARGE TREE ON WIRES
• PAULDING DR (CROSS STREET: MOHEGAN DR) - WIRES DOWN
• 40 PINE CLIFF RD - TREE ON ROAD
• 46 PINESBRIDGE - TREE ON WIRES
• PINESBRIDGE (CROSS STREET: OVERLOOK) - TREE DOWN
• PINESBRIDGE (CROSS STREET: MARYKNOLL) - TREE DOWN
• 36 POND HILL RD (CROSS STREET: KIPP ST) - 2-TREE/ WIRE DOWN
• 25 QUAKER LN - TREE ON WIRES
• 62 RIDGEWOOD TERR - TREE ON WIRES
• 201 ROARING BROOK - WIRES DOWN
• 3 RYDER RD - TREE ON WIRES
• 43 SADDLE RIDGE - TREE ON WIRES
• 44 SEVEN BRIDGES RD (CROSS STREET: LAWRENCE FARMS ) - TREE ON WIRES
• SHEATHER - TREE DOWN ON WIRES
• SHEATHER (CROSS STREET: HAMOND RIDGE) - WIRES DOWN
• SHINGLEHOUSE RD (CROSS STREET: SAW MILL RIVER RD) - TREES TELEPHONE LINES
• 77 SMITH STREET - WIRE DOWN
• STANWOOD RD (CROSS STREET: MEETING HOUSE) - WIRES DOWN
• 61 TRIPP ST - TREE DOWN ON WIRES
• 47 VALLEY VIEW - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• 96 WESTWOOD DR - TREE ON WIRES
• 14 WILLIAMS LN (CROSS STREET: PINE CLIFF Rd) - trees/ wires down blocking access
• WOLFHILL RD (CROSS STREET: MCKESSON HILL) - TREE ON WIRES
Working together, Con Edison and DPW have re-opened the following 41 roads:
• 26 ALPINE LANE (CROSS STREET: ) - WIRES DOWN
• 21 ANNANDALE DR (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON ROAD
• APPLE TREE CLOSE (CROSS STREET: BEDFORD RD) - WIRES DOWN
• ARMONK RD (SR 128) (CROSS STREET: ROSEHOLM PL) - TREE ON ROAD
• 7 BARNES LANE (CROSS STREET: ) - WIRES DOWN
• 507 BEDFORD RD (SR 117) (CROSS STREET: ) - TRANSFORMER FIRE
• 14 CAMPFIRE RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE /WIRES DOWN
• 14 CAMPFIRE RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON WIRES
• 45 CAMPFIRE RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON WIRES
• CAMPFIRE RD (CROSS STREET: HARDSCRABBLE RD) - TREE DOWN ON WIRES
• 45 COMMODORE RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE IN WIRES/DOWN
• 7 COURTMAL RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON WIRES
• 26 CROSS RIDGE (CROSS STREET: SHADY LANE) - TREE BLOCK ROAD
• 195 CROTON AVE (CROSS STREET: ) - TRANSFORMER FIRE
• 226 CROTON AVE (CROSS STREET: UNABLE TO ACCESS RIVERWOODS COND) - TREE ON WIRES
• 55 DEEPWOOD DR (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• 627 DOUGLAS RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE DOWN
• GARY DR (CROSS STREET: BUTTONHOOK) - TREE / WIRES DOWN
• 21 GRAY ROCK RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE DOWN
• 1 GRIGGS LANE (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• 33 HOLLOW OAK (CROSS STREET: ) - SPARKING WIRES
• JOAN DR (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE DOWN
• 18 MILL RIVER RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• 29 MILL RIVER RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON WIRES
• 201 MILLWOOD RD (SR 133) (CROSS STREET: ) - WIRES DOWN
• MILLWOOD RD (SR 133) (CROSS STREET: HIGH MEADOWS) - TREE ON WIRES
• 34 &59 MOUNTAIN PEAK RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• OLD ROARINGBROOK RD (CROSS STREET: ALLISON LANE) - TREE DOWN
• 4A PINE VIEW RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE IN WIRES
• QUAKER RD (SR 120) (CROSS STREET: SPRING ST) - WIRES DOWN
• QUAKER RD (SR120) (CROSS STREET: COMMODORE) - TREE/WIRE ON VEH
• ROARING BROOK (CROSS STREET: RR CROSSING) - WIRES DOWN
• 191 S GREELEY AVE (CROSS STREET: ) - BRANCHES DOWN
• 550 SAW MILL RIVER RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON WIRES
• 137 SEVEN BRIDGES RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE DOWN
• 1 SILVER LANE (CROSS STREET: ) - BRANCH DOWN
• 161 SOMERSTOWN RD (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON HOUSE
• TAYLOR RD (CROSS STREET: MT KISCO CC) - TREE DOWN
• WHIPPOORWILL CROSSING (CROSS STREET: WHIPPOORWILL RD) - TREE ON WIRES
• WHIPPOORWILL CROSSING (CROSS STREET: ) - TREE ON WIRES
• WHIPPOORWILL RD (CROSS STREET: WHIPPOORWILL LAKE) - TREE/WIRES DOWN
• WOODLAND RD (CROSS STREET: CROW HILL RD) - TREE ON WIRES
Please review these lists and report any locations that are not included. Remember to report to both Con Edison and the Town of New Castle.
- Call 1-800-75CONED or 1-800-752-6633, or report your outage online at www.coned.com. Do not assume that Con Edison is aware of your outage!
- Call the New Castle police desk to report a road closure or if you are unable to leave your home – 238-4422.
Restoration Updates from Con Edison
Did you get a text message like this today from Con Edison?
Don’t believe it! We have not a single dedicated restoration crew in town. Con Edison has two crews in town working on “cut and clear” activities as mentioned above (ie: reopening roadways, and de-energizing wires).
Con Edison has acknowledged that the message was sent in error.
Ice Ice Baby!
On 8/6, Con Edison will have customer outreach vans at two locations with dry ice (yes, dry ice!) available from 2PM-9PM. The locations are: New Rochelle City Hall and Yorktown Food Emporium (355 Downing Drive, Yorktown Heights).
Cell and Internet Service Outages
Many residents have asked about cell and internet service. The Town has been working along with Westchester County Legislator Vedat Gashi to reach out to our municipal liaisons at the telecommunications companies, most notably Verizon and Altice (Optimum). The issues are widespread, and not limited to New Castle. For example, we have learned that close to 42% of Altice customers in the Hudson Valley are experiencing service issues after the storm.
Cell service is impacted by the Con Edison outages. This is for two reasons. First, the wires are on the same poles, and Con Edison is the first company that needs to respond with cut and clear and restoration activities prior to the other providers. Second, the cell towers themselves rely on Con Edison for electricity. They have limited battery/generator backup.
This was a major topic of conversation on today’s municipal call with Con Edison and the federal, state, and local governments. We pressed Con Edison to communicate clearly and coordinate more effectively with the telecom providers.
Please continue to report your outages to your telecommunications providers!
A list of WiFI and charging stations in operation is contained below.
Cooling Center – Town Hall 9AM-7PM
Town Hall will be available as a cooling center (and a place to charge your devices and access WiFi) from 9AM – 7PM on Friday 8/7. Entry will be from the lower entrance in the front of the building. Anyone entering the building will be subject to a temperature check. Masks and proper social distancing are required. Capacity is limited due to COVID-19. If we reach capacity we ask that residents limit their time to 1 hour to ensure that everyone has an opportunity.
Chappaqua Library is Closed
The Chappaqua Library is closed temporarily due to the storm. They do not have full power and/or air conditioning and cannot open until these are restored.
Several residents have reached out to ask about yard waste and clean-up. At this time, we cannot open the yard waste facility because our crews are working on clearing the roads and are using the equipment at the site for these activities. Brush and debris from private property must be bundled per the yard waste rules for pickup by SaniPro. If the items are too large; residents should other means to remove the debris, for example asking your landscaper to remove. The Town will remove debris from our right of way.
Learn more about how to dispose of yard waste: https://www.mynewcastle.org/DocumentCenter/View/1291/2020-Refuse-and-Recycling-Schedule-PDF
Safety Tip from Chappaqua Fire Department