8 people in Quarantine
- Westchester has travelers coming back to the county from areas of the world where COVID-19 cases have occurred
- The Westchester County Health Department is currently monitoring 8 individuals
- These people are all quarantined – this is a voluntary quarantine in their homes.
- Isolation is when you are sick
- Quarantine is when you are exposed to illness
- Westchester County Health Department is following CDC and New York State Department of Health protocols.
- The County Health Department is making sure these people have all support services needed during the time of quarantine
AS OF RIGHT NOW – STEPS TAKEN
- With Coronavirus spreading globally, the CDC has issued travel health notices. To date, Westchester County residents should avoid nonessential travel to both China and now South Korea given the number of cases in these countries.
- Older residents and those with chronic medical conditions should consider also avoiding travel to Iran, Japan and Italy.
- Before making travel plans, residents should visit the CDC website as information is continuously being updated.
WHAT IS THE COUNTY DOING TO PREPARE AND KEEP RESIDENTS SAFE:
- County Departments, including the Departments of Health and Emergency Services continue to participate in state and federal briefings to receive situational updates and information on the latest guidance for health care personnel and for monitoring persons potentially exposed.
- The County is in communication with our local hospitals and other health care providers to monitor their supply of personal protective equipment and the County stands ready to assist facilities that need help with obtaining supplies.
- The County is reviewing its emergency response plans and is prepared to implement strategies, should the need arise, that would help lessen exposure to residents
- The County Department of Health continues to follow state and federal guidance on monitoring of persons who may have been exposed. At this time, federal and state authorities are not requiring persons returning from South Korea to be placed under quarantine orders or to be restricted from attending school or work.
- The County continues to send updates to medical providers and first responders as new information is obtained.
- The Health Department has a coronavirus webpage and the NYS Department of Health continues to staff a coronavirus hotline.
- Westchester is a wonderful tapestry of people from many different backgrounds, religions and languages. Events like this one can cause stress and anxiety which can lead to biases against those of specific ethnicities or countries of origin. Please remember that we are all co-workers, neighbors, schoolmates, fellow community members, and be kind to one another.
WHAT CAN YOU/RESIDENTS DO
- Stay informed, calm and don't be alarmed
- Wash hands -at least 20 seconds with soap and water
- Stay home when sick
- Cover your mouth when cough or sneeze - elbow or tissue
- Clean with non-green products (i.e. bleach-based)
- Get your flu shot
Link to full news conference: https://youtu.be/YWR2UQYbtmc