Local police have received several bear sightings in northern Greenwich and Rye Brook.
Bears are part of our local wildlife. Please follow the following precautions if you see one:
- Never approach, surround or corner a bear: Bears aggressively defend themselves when they feel threatened.
- Be especially cautious around cubs as mother bears are very protective.
- Never run from a bear: Stay calm, speak in a loud and calm voice, slowly back away and leave the area.
- Do not throw food or bags at an approaching bear: Doing so encourages bears to approach and "bully" people to get food. By teaching a bear to approach humans for food, you are endangering yourself, other residents, and the bears.
- Remember that most black bears prefer to avoid humans.
Bears in your yard
- From a safe distance, make loud noises by shouting or banging pots to scare the bear away.
- Once the bear leaves, remove all attractants such as bird seed, garbage, greasy cooking grills and pet food.
- Ask neighbors to remove attractants.
Visit Greenwich Police on Facebook here to learn more about this post.