Tropical Storm Henri is expected to be a hurricane when it hits the northeast coast this weekend.
The American Red Cross is preparing to respond if necessary, getting shelter and relief supplies in position and having volunteers ready if needed. While the exact path and potential impact of Henri is still uncertain, the Red Cross is coordinating with community partners and emergency responders to be ready to provide aid.
“Just as the American Red Cross prepares for disasters, it’s important for people to prepare before severe weather hits,” said Mario Bruno, CEO, American Red Cross Connecticut and Rhode Island Region. “People across Connecticut should make a plan and get ready now for the potential impact of Henri."
GETTING READY IS EASY There are simple steps you can take to be prepared:
- Create an evacuation plan. Plan what to do in case you are separated from your family during an emergency and if you have to evacuate. Coordinate your plan with your child’s school, your work and your community’s emergency plans. Plan multiple routes to local shelters, register family members with special medical needs as required and make plans for pets. If you already have an emergency plan, update it and review with family members so everyone knows what to do if an emergency occurs.
- Build an emergency kit with a gallon of water per person, per day, non-perishable food, a flashlight, battery-powered radio, first aid kit, medications, supplies for an infant and pets if applicable, a multi-purpose tool, personal hygiene items, copies of important papers, cell phone chargers, extra cash, blankets, maps of the area and emergency contact information. Because of the pandemic, include a mask for everyone in your household.
- If you already have a disaster kit, now is the time make sure the food and water is still okay to consume and that copies of important documents are up to date.
- Be informed. Find out how local officials will contact you during a disaster and how you will get important information, such as evacuation orders.
- Download the free Red Cross Emergency app to help keep you and your loved ones safe with real-time alerts, open Red Cross shelter locations and safety advice on hurricanes and other emergencies.