Mission Health Day at WCSU is Saturday, Oct. 28
Western Connecticut State University and Western Connecticut Health Network (WCHN) will host Mission Health Day from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 28, in the Bill Williams Gym in Berkshire Hall and Berkshire Hall lawn on the university's Midtown campus, 181 White St. in Danbury.
The event is designed for local individuals and families in need of health services, housing support and other community service aid.
Medical professionals, social service advocates and student volunteers will provide a one-stop health, housing and social service fair that brings together more than 30 area agencies to provide immediate assistance to individuals who are in need of health, housing and social services assistance.
WestConn has offered an annual day of support to area displaced and homeless for a decade. The collaboration with Western Connecticut Health Network is a "natural progression" of the program, said Daryle Dennis, assistant dean of Student Affairs.
"We'll be offering more services than ever to a population that looks forward to this event every year," Dennis said. "Two strong community organizations are working together to serve a need."
Attendees will be offered health services, housing advocacy, veterans' services and employment counseling. The Connecticut Department of Public Health will set up a mobile hospital operated by doctors and nurses from Danbury Hospital.
Services offered during the day will includef:
* General health and vision screenings and time with a medical provider
* General health history and assessment
* Basic point-of-care testing
* Insurance enrollment assistance
* Referrals to primary care
* Cancer screenings and mammography referrals
* Podiatry screening
* Behavioral health and substance abuse screening and referrals
* Haircuts by The Paul Mitchell School-Danbury
* Kid Zone-supervised child play area
* Winter clothing give-away
* A light breakfast and lunch
Staff teams from Western Connecticut State University and WCHN Western Connecticut Health Network, are the co-coordinators of the event.