Connecticut State Police Promote Safe Driving Throughout the July 4 Long Weekend
Connecticut State Troopers are ready to patrol in increased numbers to keep roads and highways safe for all travelers during the upcoming July 4th holiday weekend.
Traffic will be on the rise during the long weekend, as many people will be driving through and around the state of Connecticut for cookouts, beach outings and fireworks. State Police will participate in Operation C.A.R.E. (Combined Accident Reduction Effort) starting at midnight on July 3 and running through midnight on July 5.
Troopers will work to enhance safety and enforce laws across the state. Laser speed measuring units will be utilized to enforce speed on highways and secondary roads. Troopers will be strategically placed to reduce speeds on the highways and roadways during the holiday period.
In addition, Connecticut State Troopers will operate sobriety checkpoints at numerous locations throughout Connecticut. Drivers can expect to experience concentrated enforcement operations to be located at locations where there have been a high number of alcohol-involved crashes and incidents.
As a reminder, starting today, July 1, all Connecticut residents who have their license suspended after being charged with operating under the influence, will be required to install a breathalyzer on the ignition of their car. The breathalyzer, known as an ignition interlock device (IID), requires the driver to blow a breath sample into a tube in order for their car to start.
Fourth of July DUI Roving Patrols & Sobriety Checkpoints
- 07/02/15 Roving Patrols - Route 8 between exits 38 and 42
- 07/02/15 DUI Sobriety Checkpoint – Waterbury Road near intersection of Echo Lake Road (Route 262) in Thomaston. This will be in conjunction with the Breath Alcohol Testing Mobile Unit.
- 07/22/15 Roving Patrols - Interstate 95 between exits 46 and 22
- 07/03/15 Roving Patrols – Interstate 95 between exits 53 and 36 and 36 and 12
- 07/04/15 Roving Patrols - Interstate 95 between exits 42 and 53
- 07/02/15 Roving Patrols – Greater Danbury and Waterbury areas on Interstate 84 and Routes 7 and 8
- 07/03/15 Roving Patrols - Greater Danbury and Waterbury areas on Interstate 84 and Routes 7 and 8
- 07/04/15 Roving Patrols - Greater Danbury and Waterbury areas on Interstate 84 and Routes 7 and 8
- 07/05/15 Roving Patrols - Greater Danbury and Waterbury areas on Interstate 84 and Routes 7 and 8
- 07/06/15 Roving Patrols - Greater Danbury and Waterbury areas on Interstate 84 and Routes 7 and 8