Darien Police want you to have a SAFE and Happy Halloween! Follow the following safety protocols:
• Be familiar with the neighborhood where your children will be trick-or-treating. • Set a specific time for your child/children to be out. • Instruct your children NEVER to enter any homes. • Inspect all treats before allowing children to eat them. • Avoid having children carry replica firearms, swords, or toys that can be mistaken for the real thing. • Teach children their home and/or parent’s cellular phone number in case they get lost.
• Obey all traffic signals and look in all directions when crossing the street. If there are no side-walks stay as far left of the roadway as possible.
• Only trick-or-treat at homes with their porch light on. Never approach a car offering candy. • Wait until you get home before eating any treats.
• Turn on your porch light so children know it is all right to visit your home.
• If you are placing a Jack-O-Lantern on your porch, place a glow stick inside instead of a candle.
• Keep pets away from children.
• Immediately notify the Darien Police Department of any suspicious activity (203-662-5300.)
Dial 911 in case of an emergency
• Drive slowly and cautiously.
• Look for children walking on the street, running, and darting in between parked vehicles.
• Do not use your cell phone and Never drink and drive.