FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Sacred Heart University will host a variety of events to celebrate the 2018 holiday season. The programs range from beautifully arranged instrumental and choral concerts to impressive dance showcases. There is sure to be something for everyone during SHU’s holiday celebration.
- West Campus Tree Lighting: The SHU community continues the tradition of lighting the Christmas tree at the entrance to West Campus, 3135 Easton Turnpike, Fairfield, on Tuesday, November 27, at 5:30 p.m. Join us for the singing of carols and refreshments. Free and open to the public.
- Lessons and Carols: Join the Liturgical Choir on Sunday, December 2, at 2 p.m. in the Chapel of the Holy Spirit for this annual telling of the story of Christ’s birth and the Holy Family’s journey to Bethlehem. Freewill offering.
- Winter Soulstice: Join the SHU Dance Ensemble in presenting both student and choreographed works in all styles of dance designed and delivered with soul. The event will be held on Sunday, December 2, at 2 p.m. in the Edgerton Center. General admission $15.
- Cherish The Ladies Celtic Christmas: Celebrate the holiday season with Cherish The Ladies on Wednesday, December 5, at 7:30 p.m. in the Edgerton Center. The show will include shared timeless Irish traditions and a twist on some signature classic carols. General admission $30.
- A Christmas Choral Extravaganza: Join the SHU choirs as they present top Christmas hits and storied favorites through the years. This event will be held on Saturday, December 8, at 7:30 p.m. in the Edgerton Center. This concert is sure to be a highlight of the holiday season. General admission $10.
- Christmas Memories: Celebrate the holiday season with the SHU Band featuring timeless classics and a Christmas sing-a-long. This event will be held on Sunday, December 9, at 3 p.m. in the Edgerton Center. General admission $10.
- Handel’s Messiah: Join the New Haven Symphony Orchestra for this special performance with the Christ Church Choir on Friday, December 14, at 7:30 p.m. in the Chapel of the Holy Spirit. SHU alumna Allegra De Vita ’11 will return as alto soloist. General admission $35.
All events will take place on SHU’s main campus at 5151 Park Avenue, Fairfield, with the exception of the West Campus Community Tree Lighting at 3135 Easton Turnpike, Fairfield. Tickets for the ticketed events can be purchased online at www.edgertoncenter.org. Contact the Edgerton Center for the Performing Arts box office at 203-371-7908 for additional information.
About Sacred Heart University
As the second-largest independent Catholic university in New England, and one of the fastest-growing in the U.S., Sacred Heart University is a national leader in shaping higher education for the 21st century. SHU offers more than 80 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs on its Fairfield, Conn., campus, which is located about an hour from Manhattan and 2.5 hours from Boston. Sacred Heart also has satellites in Connecticut, Luxembourg and Ireland. More than 8,500 students attend the University’s eight colleges and schools: Arts & Sciences; Communication, Media & the Arts; Computer Science & Engineering; Health Professions; the Isabelle Farrington College of Education; the Jack Welch College of Business; Nursing; and St. Vincent’s College. Sacred Heart is rooted in the rich Catholic intellectual tradition and the liberal arts, yet at the same time develops students to be forward thinkers who enact change—in their own lives and professions and in their communities. A spirit of service, entrepreneurship and social justice is the essence of who we are and can be seen inside and outside the classroom as students learn how to make a difference far beyond Fairfield. The Princeton Review includes SHU in its Best 384 Colleges–2019 Edition, “Best in the Northeast” and Best 267 Business Schools–2018 Edition. It also placed SHU on its lists for “Happiest Students” and “Most Engaged in Community Service,” each of which comprises only 20 U.S. schools. Sacred Heart has a Division I athletics program. www.sacredheart.edu