Fairfield, CT - Music is primal to life and expressed by each of us every day whether through dancing to a favorite tune, keeping rhythm with a pencil or remembering a special time when hearing a forgotten melody. It is central to our lives and is embedded in our culture defining how we acknowledge milestones, rites of passage and celebrations as well as providing comfort, transformation and inspiration. Music links us to our world and provides a pathway back to our past. A number of research studies have looked at the therapeutic use of music as an important adjunct to medical treatment and have found the following:
- Music Promotes Trust and Safety
- Music Promotes Healing
- Music Alleviates Pain
- Music Helps Manage Stress and Anxiety
- Music Helps with Neurological Impairments
- Music Promotes Socialization
- Music Helps Us Communicate
Regarding music and dementia, according to the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, music has power — especially for individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. And it can spark compelling outcomes even in the very late stages of the disease. When used appropriately, music can shift mood, manage stress-induced agitation, stimulate positive interactions, facilitate cognitive function, and coordinate motor movements. This happens because rhythmic and other well-rehearsed responses require little to no cognitive or mental processing. They are influenced by the motor center of the brain that responds directly to auditory rhythmic cues. A person’s ability to engage in music, particularly rhythm playing and singing, remains intact late into the disease process because, again, these activities do not mandate cognitive functioning for success.
ComForCare Home Care ( www.comforcare.com/fairfieldct ), a premier provider of in-home care for seniors, provides more than highly qualified caregivers. Their home care services go above and beyond the usual with their Joyful Memories® program. Joyful Memories and other meaningful activities can bring joy and purpose to individuals with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia, allowing your loved one to have better days. Learn more here: https://www.comforcare.com/connecticut/fairfield/joyful-memories.html)
- Tune in at 1pm every weekday for live music (hits from the 30s to 60s) on CFC's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/comforcarefairfield
- Access Joyful Memories playlists on SoundCloud (https://m.soundcloud.com/steve-toll-183664833/sets/inspirational-songs)
- If you are a rehabilitation center, assisted living facility, adult day center, or senior center, contact the ComForCare office at (203) 612-8966 to request a FREE live music program that your residents can enjoy.