Norwalk, CT -- Over the past five years the Maritime Garage Gallery has evolved into a popular, visible public art exhibit space, creating a buzz throughout the region. The Gallery is located on the ground floor main office of the Norwalk Parking Authority (NPA) in historic South Norwalk. This highly visible contemporary space is clean, well-lit and easily accessible. The current hours of operation are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and will be expanded until 9 p.m. Thursday through Saturday.
The Maritime Garage Gallery is a project under the Norwalk Parking Authority’s Art in Parking Places program, created in 2012 in partnership with the Norwalk Arts Commission. The goal of the Art in Parking Places is to expand public art opportunities by creative use of existing city parking assets. With a non-traditional urban flair, the Gallery features work from local arts groups, community organizations, artists’ collectives, and emerging (under-exposed) artists.
The Parking Authority is seeking the services of a curator to refine and extend the Gallery’s potential starting September 2017. The gallery will provide the curator with the opportunity to create unique and educational exhibits for the general public. While the curator does not need to live and/or work in Norwalk, the themes and expectations for this venue suggest the successful applicant must be able to demonstrate a good understanding of the Norwalk arts and cultural communities including working relationships with one or more organizations. The curator will receive a stipend of $600.00 per exhibit, 10% from the sale of art work and up to $100.00 payment for out of pocket expenses related to the exhibit.
Exhibit schedule will include 3-4 exhibits per year.
Roles & Responsibilities
The curator is responsible for:
- Create and refine the theme for each exhibit including identification of groups, individuals, organizations represented;
- Submit to the NPA representative for approval.
- Manage the call for art and coordinate the collection of the entrance fee with the parking authority. The current exhibit entrance fee is $35/selection.
- Secure and maintain waiver(s) of consent confirming that while the artwork will be displayed in a protected public setting, the organizations, businesses, and/or individuals exhibiting in the Maritime Garage Gallery understand they are responsible for providing their own insurance and will hold the City of Norwalk harmless in case of lost, stolen or damaged artwork.
- Assist the artists, organizations, businesses when they install the exhibit including signage/labeling and arranging for breaking down/return.
- Provide information to the Parking Authority representative for a press release.
- Coordinate with the Parking Authority representative the date/time for a reception within the first month of the exhibit’s opening date.
- Meet with the Norwalk Parking Authority representative on a quarterly basis to provide an update regarding upcoming exhibits and receive input.
The Norwalk Parking Authority representative is responsible for:
- Serve as liaison between the Curator and the NPA
- Issue the press release and promoting through social media and other media outlets.
- Coordinate the schedule with the curator.
- Provide light refreshments for the exhibit receptions.
- Respond to questions in a timely manner.
- Provide a collection process for the entrance fee.
- Patch and repair walls between exhibits
- Applicants may propose an individual curator or a team approach. If the proposal includes more than one curator, please provide detailed information about all members of the team.
- The curator should plan on installing the initial exhibit no later than September 15th with subsequent exhibits to be installed within the first ten (10) days of the opening month for each of the next exhibit(s).
- Curators are invited and encouraged to consider exhibits that include the written word or other cultural/artistic installations besides the visual arts.
- Curators are encouraged to suggest improvements to the call for art process and the exhibit.
- No sculpture.
- There is an expectation that artists selected for Maritime Garage gallery be selected within the Greater Norwalk area first.
- The Norwalk Parking Authority reserves the right to reject/remove any artwork deemed objectionable or offensive.
- Curators are encouraged to provide internship or other opportunities for young people interested in learning more about this type of work. The Norwalk Arts Commission is available to assist with this effort.
Deadline: Monday, May 22, 2017
- Resume and/or description of the individual/team’s prior experience developing and implementing similar projects.
- Describe how you would curate the Maritime Garage Gallery in no more than 100 words.
- Provide a written commitment to terms and conditions including ability to meet the project timelines
- Describe value-added resources or services to be provided beyond the defined scope.
- Confirm your visit date to the space before submitting proposal.
Proposals will be evaluated and scored on the basis of relevant experience, cost, ability to commit to scope and timeline, and any value-added services beyond defined scope. The selection process will include an in person interview. The selection is anticipated on or before June 28th.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.