BRIDGEPORT, Conn. – Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo is proud to announce its fifth annual photography contest is open for submissions, an opportunity for the Zoo’s many dedicated amateur and professional photographers to submit their best work for public viewing. The contest, sponsored by Milford Photo, will combine digital submissions with an in-person exhibition.
Contest sponsor Milford Photo will be at the Zoo on Saturday, June 10, from 10 a.m to 1:00 p.m. demonstrating cameras, Sigma lenses, and sharing photography techniques for photographers at all levels, beginner to advanced, and providing an opportunity to ask questions about photography..
Photos are to be submitted digitally for a first round, with the top 100 selected for exhibition and judging. Photographers selected for the in-person exhibit will be asked to print and mat their photo (size 8 x 10). Judging will take place in July, with an in-person show held on Thursday, July 27 in the Zoo’s Hanson Building.
For the second year, there is a special Kids Only! Category, with separate prizes for submissions by children 17 years and younger. Two winners will be chosen in the Kids Only! Contest, with age ranges as follows
- Up to 12 years old
- 13 to 17 years old
- Each photographer can submit three photos, with a $10 fee per photo. Kids Only! submissions are $5 per photo.
- In addition to the judged photos, a People’s Choice will be selected. The public can vote on their favorite by making a one-dollar donation for each vote. Voting will take place online.
- Digital, first round photos are due to be submitted by July 4 at 11:59 p.m.
- Photographers are invited to upload their submissions at https://www.beardsleyzoo.org/photography-exhibition.html
- For the best quality for viewing the photos online, the recommended image size is 1088 x 816 pixels with a maximum file size of 1MB.
- Photos must have been taken on Zoo grounds. Plants and grounds photos are allowed. They may be older photos from a previous year as well as current photos.
- Milford Photo will provide First, Second, and Third prizes in the form of gift certificates to the store. First prize is $200, second prize is $100, and third prize is $50. In addition, there will be prizes for the Kids Only! Category.
“Art is a natural way for people to express their love of animals and appreciation of nature,” said Zoo Director Gregg Dancho. “Our annual Photography Goes Wild contest helps to showcase the stunning diversity of species at the Zoo, and we hope, encourages people to focus on preserving wild habitats and animal conservation in new ways.”
“We thank Milford Photo for their continuing partnership in this event,” he added. “Their assistance in judging submissions and providing prizes is much appreciated.”
About Connecticut’s Beardsley Zoo
Get Your Ticket to Adventure! Connecticut’s only zoo, celebrating its 101st year, features 350 animals representing primarily North and South American and Northern Asian species. Guests won’t want to miss our Amur tiger and leopards, maned wolves, Mexican gray wolves, and red wolves. Other highlights include the new Andean bear habitat, the spider monkey habitat, the prairie dog exhibit, and the Pampas Plain with giant anteaters and Chacoan peccaries. Guests can grab a bite from the Peacock Café and eat in the Picnic Grove. As an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) and participant in its Species Survival Plan (SSP) programs, the non-profit Zoo is committed to the preservation of endangered animals and wild habitats. Tickets should be purchased on the Zoo’s website at beardsleyzoo.org.
About Milford Photo
Since its founding in 1995, Milford Photo continues to be the go-to location for the photo enthusiast in Connecticut. From selling the top lines in cameras, lenses, and accessories to providing reprint, enlargement, graphic imagery, or photo instruction for photographers of all levels, the crew at Milford Photo works hard to provide the best in product and service to their clients. www.milfordphoto.com