A third dose of Moderna or Pfizer COVID vaccine is recommended by the CDC for people with moderately to severely compromised immune systems who completed their original two dose series at least 28 days ago. An additional dose is not recommended for any other population at this time.
People eligible for a third dose include those who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last 2 years and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
Additional shots are only for those immunocompromised that received an mRNA vaccine series. There is currently no recommendation for an additional dose for those who received the J&J vaccine. If you are unsure if you are eligible, contact your primary care physician to discuss your options.
To find a vaccine provider please visit https://www.vaccines.gov.