The First Niagara Foundation today announced grants totaling $1.0 million to support not-for-profit youth mentoring programs and organizations across New York, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and Massachusetts through the regional bank’s Mentoring Matters℠ program.
Across the bank’s four-state footprint, 37 not-for-profit organizations will share the $1.0 million grant award, directly benefiting more than 40,000 children who participate in these programs. Over the past nine years, First Niagara has provided more than $8.33 million in support of mentoring programs and initiatives.
Nearly one-quarter of the grant ($200,000) is going to support 10 youth mentoring programs in the bank’s New England and Tri-State regions, which includes Connecticut, Western Massachusetts and Lower Hudson Valley (New York).
“First Niagara is proud to invest in our communities and the people that make them great places to live, work and do business,” said New England President Jeff Hubbard. “Quality mentoring programs fill a critical gap for young people who might not otherwise have positive role models to help them make good choices in life. We see our investment in mentoring as empowering young people to learn, grow, and become successful members of our communities. “
Recipients of First Niagara’s 2016 Mentoring Matters℠ grants in the New England and Tri-State regions include:
- Mass Mentoring Partnership - Boston, Massachusetts
- The Governor’s Prevention Partnership/Connecticut Mentoring Partnership – Hartford, Connecticut
- The New Haven Reads Community Book Bank/Summer Tutoring Program – New Haven, Connecticut
- Norwalk Community College Foundation/Connecticut College Access and Success (CONNCAS) Program – Norwalk, Connecticut
- Bridgeport Public Education Fund/Mentoring for Academic Achievement and College/Career Success (MAACS) Program – Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Junior Achievement of Southwest New England – Hartford, Connecticut
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Orange County – Vails Gate, New York
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Rockland County – New City, New York
- Boys & Girls Club of Northern Westchester – Mount Kisco, New York
- Family Services of Westchester/Big Brothers Big Sisters of Westchester – White Plains, New York