United Way of Western Connecticut Day of Action 2020 Drive-By Community Food Drive to Benefit the Danbury Food Collaborative
Fri., August 7, 2 - 6 pm & Sat., August 8, 9 am - 12 noon
Danbury Fair Mall, 7 Backus Avenue, Danbury, CT
Food Pantries in Greater Danbury desperately need our help. 2-1-1 received 5 times as many calls for food assistance in Fairfeld County between March and June of 2020 than it did during the same time last year. Feeding America predicts that food insecurity could increase in Connecticut by 44%, from 11% of the state’s population to 16%, as a result of unemployment and economic dislocation due to the pandemic.
CONTACT-FREE DONATION PROCESS. Donations will be collected via a drive through in the mall parking lot located off the main entrance, facing Backus Avenue (closest to L.L. Bean). Look for the tent. Volunteers will remove your donations from your vehicle trunk. No need to get out of your vehicle.
TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION, visit the Danbury Food Collaborative website at www.uwwesternct.org/danburyfoodcollaborative
WE WILL BE COLLECTING THE FOLLOWING BOXED OR CANNED HEALTHY FOOD ITEMS:
- All rices & grains: long grain, white, brown, wild, quinoa, couscous, barley
- Peanut butter, including natural
- Canned tuna
- Pastas including whole grain
- Pasta sauce
- Macaroni & cheese*
- Beef stew*
- Chili *
- All beans/legumes,dried or canned: lentils, black beans, kidney, lima, black-eyed, navy, garbanzo, pinto
- All canned vegetables and potatoes*
- Canned fruit, in light syrup or packedin natural juice
- Soups including ramen noodles*
- Cereal – boxed or bagged, whole grains*
- Laundry Detergent, cleaning supplies
- Hand soap & sanitizer
- Diapers, baby & adult size
- Feminine hygiene products
- *To encourage healthier eating, please consider providing low-sodium or low-sugar options.
- **When possible, please refrain from donating items in glass jars.
- ***Please also note we cannot accept expired items, per health code.
Download Flier (PDF)
If you are interested volunteering for the Community Food Drive, or have questions, please contact
To learn more about how to donate and volunteer opportunities, please visit: https://untdwy.org/2DLK3uX