MONARCHS, MEADOWS, & MORE at the Catherine Violet Hubbard Animal Sanctuary on September 24, 2023.
From butterflies, bees, insects and birds, learn the incredible attributes of these pollinators, the plants they need to survive, and how we can all protect these dwindling species.
Learn from the very best experts in the field…a rare opportunity to meet one-on-one with the top entomologists, ornithologists, lepidopterists and pollinator protection organizations in the state.
- Collect monarch migration data by tagging monarchs.
Monarch Watch, a national citizen science will be leading tagging and release efforts at the sanctuary. Did you know monarch butterflies are on the endangered species list or that only 3-5% of monarch butterflies survive in the wild? Monarch tagging helps scientists track these precious pollinators in hopes of improving their migration journey now and into the future. One of our tagged monarchs was even spotted all the way in Florida!
- Explore the world of butterflies!
Connecticut butterfly specimen displays from Peabody Museum and Monarch marking from expert Victor Demasi, Lepidopterist. A world-renowned superstar in butterfly expertise, Mr. Demasi has been cited in numerous articles, studies & publications while his artwork can be found on murals and private collections.
- Get in the thick of it!
Meadow net sweeping and insect discovery with Entomologist, Dr. Rayda Krell. Gather the meadow creatures and learn how to identify which insects make the sanctuary meadows their safe haven and why they are so important.
- Get out your binoculars (or borrow ours) and “Explore the birds that call the sanctuary home”
Ken Elkins of CT Audubon’s The Coastal Center at Milford Point. Learn how birds assist in pollination, their migration schedule, and how many different species reside at the sanctuary.
- Up Up and Away!
Launch pollinator plant seed bombs into the air that scatter across our meadows
- And that’s not all…get crafty at our art station!
- Local artist Kim Hossler will teach drawing pollinator flowers and seed heads
- Butterfly Puppet Making by Adelka Polak of Sova Dance and Puppet Theater*
- Catherine’s Craft Corner – create your very own butterfly or insect masks
- Bring it from our Sanctuary to yours
- Protect Our Pollinators selling native pollinator plants for sale
- Homegrown National Park
Free for all ages. All participants must register. Children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. Cancellations due to weather will be posted on our website.
Catherine Violet Hubbard Animal Sanctuary, 8 Commerce Rd Newtown