Geography Bee in Danbury
The 4th Annual Catholic Geography Bee was held Saturday March 15 and this year's winner is Colman Tokar of St. Rose of Lima in Newtown. The Catholic Elementary School Geography Bee is sponsored by the McGivney Council 29, Knights of Columbus. Saint Joseph school hosted the contestants in their Main Street school.
Knowing your way around
The Bee includes seven elimination rounds. The winner needed to correctly identify that Hawaii is the location of Mount Waialeale which is one of the rainiest locations in the U.S. Students also needed to know that Kentucky is the state famous for Daniel Boone and home to the first Catholic diocese west of the Appalachians.
Participants from the region
Usually there are 3 children from each participating school but last minute issues left some empty competition slots. Here is who did compete:
- From Saint Gregory the Great School, Danbury: Gia Massoni and Cooper Swenson
- From Saint Joseph School, Danbury: Lawrens Buissereth and Sean Guiry
- From Saint Peter School, Danbury: Michelle Curtis, Valentina Fernandes, and Ben Pasquarella
- From Saint Mary School, Ridgefield: Veronica Galban, Sophia Miller, and Ian Ostrosky
- From Saint Rose of Lima School, Newtown: Katherine Bonomo, Ryan McNerney, Colman Tokar
Find out more about the Knights of Columbus work in the community at their website, here.