SONGS OF PROTEST –Music that Changed the World
Concert to The Benefit Arts Council of Rockland (ACOR) and ArtsRock
An amazing slate of musicians is coming together on Saturday, April 15, 2017 at 7:30pm in Nyack to perform a benefit concert for two Rockland County non-profit organizations - The Arts Council of Rockland (ACOR) and ArtsRock.
SONGS OF PROTEST will celebrate songs that affected social, political and cultural change through history. Performers include Grammy award-winning Tom Chapin, David Amram, Rex Fowler from Aztec Two Step, Mikhail Svetlov, Russian bass from the Metropolitan Opera, Sam Waymon, Erik Lawrence, Shirley Crabbe, Adam Falcon, Mayra Casales, The Roues Brothers and more.
SONGS OF PROTEST is curated by Parents’ Choice Award-winning musician and leader of The Bossy Frog Band, Jeffrey Friedberg under the artistic direction of WQXR’s and ArtsRock’s Elliott Forrest and ACOR executive director Janey Tannenbaum.
“In these times of intense civic engagement and charged politics I want to celebrate the songs that help shape America’s history. We have assembled a tremendously varied and talented group of performers to celebrate the power of music to make a difference.” said Friedberg who stresses that this is not a rally or partisan event but rather a celebration of what makes America great, freedom of expression.
“The Nyack and surrounding area community is an engaged group,” said Forrest, “and we always come together to voice our passions.”
Scheduled to appear:
* Rex Fowler of Aztec Two Step
* Tom Chapin & Michael Mark: Grammy award-winning singer/song writers
* The Chapin Sisters, renowned family singers
* Mikhail Svetlov: Metropolitan Opera, Russian bass
* Shirley Crabbe: Jazz vocalist
* Sam Waymon: musical director and brother of Nina Simone
* Adam Falcon: Guitarist/singer-songwriter
* Roues Brothers: Rockabilly/blues and Americana musicians
* Alice Leon, singer songwriter
* Erik Lawrence: Jazz sax, charter member of the Levon Helm band
* Mayra Casales: Cuban percussionist
* Sean Fleming: Irish-rock musician
* Additional musicians to be announced.
ArtsRock is a 501 (C)(3) New York Not For-Profit Corporation. For more information or to purchase tickets, go to http://www.artsrock.org or call 855-ArtsRock.
The Arts Council of Rockland is a nonprofit institution dedicated to advancing the arts and the role of artists within the Rockland community. The Arts Council of Rockland provides grant opportunities, technical assistance, and information to artists and arts organizations.
Saturday April 15th 7:30pm
First Reformed Church 18 S Broadway, Nyack, NY
Tickets and info: ArtsRock.org or 855-ARTSROCK
$25 in advance/$30 at the door