On Thursday, June 19, grab your friends and head to the Gallo Ristorante for a Guest Bartending Event to benefit the Women's Center, the ONLY state-certified provider of 24/7 free and confidential domestic violence, sexual assault and resource services for the 13-town area in Northern Fairfield and Southern Litchfield counties (including Ridgefield). From 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., local couples, Lori and John Berisford and Elaine and Kevin Cox, will be behind the bar, mixing, pouring and collecting for this extremely important resource in our area. ALL bar gratuities and 10% of bar sales will go directly to the Women's Center services in our area!
Approximately half of all the Women's Center's operating costs for critical services are raised privately (as opposed to government funding), so this fundraising event, and others, are very important to their continued growth and longevity in our area.
Why is the Women's Center such an important resource to Ridgefield and the surrounding towns? Here are five good reasons:
- The Women's Center provides FREE programs for all ages -- from pre-school to senior citizens. Primary prevention & education programs are provided in schools, colleges, businesses, social & civic groups, and faith-based organizations. Programs include: Healthy Relationships, Anti-bullying, Staying Safe on College Campuses, Gender Images in the Media and more.
- 24/7 hotlines for domestic and sexual violence issues staffed by certified counselors.
- Our counselors provide on-site support for victims at area emergency rooms, police stations and Danbury Superior Court.
- We have a 13-bed shelter, Elizabeth House, at a confidential location to house women and children fleeing violence in their own home (men are sheltered at a separate location).
- We serve more than 26,000 women, men and children annually with individual counseling, group counseling, prevention education, crisis intervention and support services with regard to domestic violence, sexual assault and other major life crises.
Please consider supporting the Women's Center on Thursday, July 19!