Town of Ridgefield Winter Storm Preparation
We are facing a winter storm with strong, gusting winds, and as we know from experience, these storms can create disruption. First Selectman Rudy Marconi is reminding residents to be prepared and “plan for the worst, and hope for the best.”
While our Emergency Management Office does its best to warn residents about pending weather events and provide services and supplies to those in need during an emergency, we ask you to do your part by being prepared.
To stay informed before, during and after an event, sign up for our local notification system at www.RidgefieldAlerts.com.”
In addition to eliminating any potential hazards outside of the home, you can prepare your home and vehicle(s) ahead of a storm by procuring, organizing, and storing enough supplies to be self-sufficient for up to two weeks.
Home supplies should include:
- One gallon of water per person per day.
- Non-perishable food, including a manual can opener.
- Refilled prescriptions and updated first aid kit.
- Digital and hard copies of important documents like health/vaccination records.
- Water, food, prescriptions, and vaccination records for all pets.
- Fully charged electronics with portable battery backup chargers, if possible.
- Extra batteries sized to fit portable radios, flashlights and lanterns.
- Wood for fireplace or wood stove stored in a safe and accessible place.
- Full gasoline cans and/or propane tanks.
- Generator, if possible (follow manufacturer’s safety and ventilation recommendations).
- Cash for emergencies.
- Prepare an emergency “Go-Bag,” which should contain:
- Flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, face masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, pet items (see above) and cash.
- Remember to bring Rx, water, and nonperishable food.
- For vehicle(s), bring “Go-Bag” and make sure car(s) has:
- Full gas tank(s)
- Blankets, shovel, local map, ice scraper, and sand/litter/ice melt.
To be better prepared for Ridgefield-related emergencies, follow the Ridgefield Office of Emergency Management on:
Facebook: Ridgefield Emergency Management page
Local radio: 850 AM-WREF & 800 AM-WLAD