Sundays at the Schoolhouse Peter Parley Schoolhouse Open House on Sunday, September 30 from 1 to 4 pm
The Ridgefield Historical Society is pleased to present Sundays at the Schoolhouse on September 30, from 1 to 4 pm, rain or shine. This afternoon series is free to the public and engages visitors of all ages through interactive tours of the schoolhouse and hands-on learning experiences with docents and historical craft makers from the Colonial era. On September 30, a presentation of the Historical Society’s exhibit, WWI: Ridgefield Answers the Call, will feature display posters created by local graphic artist Bil Mikulewicz. The exhibit commemorates the end of WWI and centers on the contribution Ridgefielders made during the war.
The Peter Parley Schoolhouse, also known as the West Lane Schoolhouse or the Little Red Schoolhouse, was in operation from 1756 to 1915 and served five generations of Ridgefielders. On the tour, learn about Samuel Goodrich (alias Peter Parley), a Ridgefield native and one of the most famous children’s book authors of his time, who attended the school from 1799 to 1803.
The town of Ridgefield owns the Schoolhouse and its grounds. In February 2012, the Ridgefield Historical Society took over its operations and, today, it is open the last Sunday of the month from May to October.
The Schoolhouse is located at the intersection of West Lane and CT Rte 35 in Ridgefield, CT