Ridgefield Garden Club Restores Historic Ballard Garden Pergola

Historic Ballard Garden Pergola Is Restored  

With grants from the Anne S. Richardson Fund and The Lewis Fund, Ridgefield Garden Club has restored the historic wrought iron pergola in Ballard Park.

The pergola was designed in 1930 by renowned American landscape architect Fletcher Steele for George Doubleday’s Westmoreland estate. It was moved to the park in 1992.  According to Terry McManus who led the restoration project, “This pergola is a dramatic feature in the garden our club has maintained for over 40 years for the enjoyment of town residents and visitors. We are so pleased to bring it back to its original glory.” Ballard Garden, located in the northwest corner of Ballard Park, is open year-round to the public.

More information about the pergola and Ballard Garden is on the Ridgefield Garden Club website here.

Photo: Ridgefield Garden Club members Eileen McIntyre, Tamera Galvin, Judith Pierpont, Mark Gilliam, JoAnn Kish, Christine Lodewick, Margaret Eustace, Ros Hooley, Mary Ellen McGuire, Heidi Riggs.