July 5th is known to be one of the busiest days for your local animal control shelter.
Here are a few tips to ensure your dog is safe and comfortable during this holiday.
1. Make sure your dog gets plenty of exercise earlier in the day.
2. Keep your dogs inside during fireworks, preferably with human companionship. If it’s hot, air conditioning will help. Bringing your dogs to a fireworks display is never a good idea.
3. Provide a safe place inside for your dogs to retreat. When scared of sounds they can’t orient, dogs often prefer small enclosed areas. If your dog is comfortable in a crate, that is a good option.
4. If possible, keep the windows and curtains closed. Covering the crate or lowering the blinds can also be helpful. Removing visual stimulation can also help calm dogs.
5. Make sure all your dogs are wearing ID tags with a properly fitting collar.
6. Leave your dog something fun to do – like a frozen Kong filled with his/her favorite
If your dog goes missing, contact animal control immediately.