HEADLINES

Ridgefield Professional Firefighters report fire started by a candle, offer safety tips

Ridgefield Professional Firefighters reported that on Dec. 22, they received an activation of a residential fire alarm. "Upon arriving at the residence, we found a house filled with smoke," they said. 
 
The fire was caused by a candle that had been lit late at night and left unattended. The candle burned through to the wood table below and ignited it. From there the fire began to spread up a nearby wall. The smoke detectors in the residence awoke the occupants who were sleeping in the 2nd-floor bedrooms.
 
Ridgefield Fire Department asks you to please use caution when using candles in the house. Remember the following:
 
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
 
Also, they say, "If you did not change your smoke detector batteries with the time change, please do so now. SMOKE DETECTORS DO WORK!"

Subscribe

Follow Ridgefield HamletHub