VIDEO: WESTCHESTER COUNTY EXECUTIVE GEORGE LATIMER, HEALTH COMMISSIONER SHERLITA AMLER, M.D., EMERGENCY SERVICES COMMISSIONER JOHN CULLEN & PUBLIC SAFETY COMMISSIONER THOMAS GLEASON TO OUTLINE COUNTY’S PROACTIVE NOVEL CORONAVIRUS EFFORTS
Watch full press conference HERE.
Fast facts regarding COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus)
- Westchester has travelers coming back to the county from areas of the world where COVID-19 cases have occurred
- The Westchester County Health Department is currently monitoring is 26 individuals
- These people are all quarantined – this is a voluntary quarantine most are in their homes
- Isolation is when you are sick
- Quarantine is when you are exposed to illness
- *THERE IS NO REASON TO BE ALARMED* THERE NO THREAT TO PUBLIC SAFETY*
- Westchester County Health Department is following CDC and New York State Department of Health protocol
- The Westchester County Health Department, with County Emergency Services, and County Public Safety are assisting ALL of these people
- The County Health Department is making sure these people have food and medication – whatever they need during the time of quarantine
- Health has the ability to video conference with all of them – using smart phones
- Health is in constant communication with these people – they can call the Department of Health at any time
- Should they become ill or need to be transported Public Safety and Emergency Services would oversee that and make sure the right equipment is being used
- The Department of Emergency Services has sent correspondence to all of our Fire and EMS agencies with the latest guidance from the NYS Health Department and CDC on response to potential novel coronavirus patients.
- Local first response agencies provide training and personal protective equipment to their own personnel.
- The Department of Emergency Services stands ready to provide any supplemental training, supplies and guidance as may be needed to support preparations in partnership with the County Health Department.
- A professional EMS has been contracted for backup – if needed
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO STAY SAFE:
- Do what you would do to protect yourself from the flu
- Wash hands – stay away from sick people who are coughing or sneezing
- Clean with bleach – no green products
- Cover your mouth when you couch or sneeze
- The US Government is telling people not to go to China
- Get your flu shot
- For more information visit the Westchester County Dept. of Health Web page.