When the weather is cool and the leaves begin to turn, Putnam and Dutchess Counties truly come alive. We have some of the most incredibly picturesque landscapes as the leaves change color. But don’t just view it, experience it. Here are 10 of our favorite ways to experience the beauty of fall in Putnam and Dutchess Counties, NY.
Please follow state guidelines requiring everyone to wear face coverings and to social distance.
1. Dykeman Farm: At Dykeman’s, you can meander through the pumpkin patch and pick your own pumpkin while enjoying the fall foliage. It’s also a great place to purchase some farm fresh vegetables. Open weekends, pumpkin picking is offered every weekend in October. Located at Dykeman Lane, Pawling N.Y.
2. Salinger’s Orchards: It’s apple season at Salinger’s. Here in their Putnam County Orchard, Salinger’s grows 18 varieties of New York’s finest apples. The harvest times are different for each, but check their website for the schedule. They bake daily too. Try their home-made donuts and take home some mouthwatering pies. Located at Guinea Road, Brewster, NY
3. Southern Dutchess Flea Market: Formerly Stormville Flea Market, what better way to spend your Saturdays from September 26th through November 7th then browsing through a huge variety of merchandise in an open-air market! They’re one of New York’s largest outdoor flea markets with over 600 vendors. Located at 428 NY-16 Stormville, NY
4. Bannerman Castle Tours: One of the best things to do along the Hudson River is to visit Pollepel Island, a tiny jewel in the Hudson Highlands. Enjoy a guided walking tour of the island, visit the famous Bannerman Castle ruins, and a hike to the summit on Bannerman Island. The fall foliage is bound to be stunning. Tours are offered on select days from September through October. Located at Beacon Institute Floating Dock, Beacon, NY
5. Cold Spring Historic District: On the shores of the Hudson River this picturesque town has a unique collection of antique shops, coffee houses, and restaurants. It’s a great way to spend a chilly afternoon and admire the changing leaves. Located in Cold Spring, NY
6.West Point Foundry Preserve: An outdoor museum in Cold Spring, it showcases the remains of foundry buildings and interpretive features that tell the story of the site’s contribution to the Industrial Revolution and the Civil War, as well as the land’s astonishing ecological renewal. It’s a great place to escape life’s background noise while connecting with the valley’s past. Located at 80 Kemble Ave., Cold Spring, NY
7. Boscobel Gardens: Overlooking Constitution Marsh, Boscobel’s landscape showcases dramatic views of the Hudson River and is even more striking as the foliage changes in vivid color. They’re open for outdoor programs and admissions. Located at 1601 NY-9D, Garrison, NY
8. Magazzino Italian Art Museum: Reservations are required to visit this museum devoted to Postwar and Contemporary Italian art. Located at 2700 U.S. 9, Cold Spring, NY
9. Liberty Paint Ball: There are 17 unique playing fields featuring two and three-story towers, helicopters, spaceships, tanks, trenches, and much more! It’s a fun way to warm up when there’s a chill in the air. Saturday and Sunday all year-round by reservation only. Located at 50 Thunder Ridge Road, Patterson NY
10. Soukup Farms Harvest Festival: Pick your own pumpkin and get lost in the hay-maze. Fun for the whole family. Enjoy pumpkin pie and other fall treats. Sunday, Oct 19 & 20. Located at 271 Halls Corners Rd, Dover Plains, NY.
Are there any other autumn activities in Putnam or Dutchess counties you think people will enjoy? Share in the comments below!
If you love to travel and experience off the beaten path adventures visit boulevardsandbyways.com and sign up for our monthly newsletter. For travel inspiration, tips, and insider information FOLLOW and LIKE Boulevards and Byways on:
If you like this article be sure to share it on Facebook and Twitter!
Boulevards and Byways provides copywriting, social media, and marketing related services for tourism bureaus, travel agencies, and travel-related services.