The 12th Annual Chowdafest, presented by Stop & Shop, was another record breaker. Both Pike Place Chowder from Seattle, Washington and Our House Bistro from Winnooski VT won for a fifth straight year in the New England clam chowder and creative chowder categories respectively, each tying the record for consecutive wins. Gates of New Canaan won the soup/bisque category as a rookie in the event while Cast Iron Chef Chop House and Oyster Bar, also a first time entrant, won the vegetarian category with a soup aptly named after the restaurant.
Event attendance figures aren’t available yet looks to equal the event’s all time high of 12,000 as people attended from all over Connecticut, New England and all over the country to determine this year’s winners! The top three in each category are listed below:
New England Clam Chowder:
- 1st: Pike Place Chowder from Seattle Washington
- 2nd: Our House Bistro from Winooski VT
- 3rd: Hub & Spoke from Bridgeport CT
- 1st: Our House Bistro from Winooski VT – Drunkin Pumpkin Chowder
- 2nd: Ribbon Cafe from Saratoga NY – Southwest Shrimp & Corn Chowder
- 3rd: Tarry Lodge from Westport CT – Montauk Chowder
- 1st: Gates from New Canaan CT – Crab & Roasted Corn Soup
- 2nd: Vazzy’s from Stratford CT – Savory Sausage Soup
- 3rdL Geronimo of Fairfield and New Haven CT – Shrimp Posole
- 1st Cast Iron Chef Chop House & Oyster Bar In New Haven CT – Cast Iron Soup
- 2nd: Saybrook Sandwich & Soup Company in Old Saybrook CT – Roasted Butternut Squash and Seared Pumpkin Bisque
- 3rd: Mystic Market in Westport & Mystic CT – Ginger Carrot Soup
Special thanks to those volunteers who have helped at all 12 events along with the student athletes from Sacred Heart University who pitched in in this annual tradition. Thanks to the National Honor Society students and Service League of Boys from Staples High /School plus the park personnel who make Sherwood Island State Park the unofficial home to the New England Chowdafest.