The Town of Southbury is currently accepting applications for the position of Utility Laborer/Arborist in the Public Works Highway Department.
The position is represented by the Teamsters Local 443 Collective Bargaining Unit. Required hours are 40/week with the potential for overtime. Provides excellent medical benefits through the Teamsters union. Eligible to participate in the defined contribution plan with Town match and receives life and disability insurance and generous sick, vacation and personal leave. Salary is $28.77/hour.
- Repairs, prunes, and maintains trees and plants; removes dead, diseased or declining trees and plants.
- Plants/transplants trees and plants, including hole preparation, backfilling, staking, pruning, watering, and mulching.
- Identifies disease and insect problems affecting trees and plants and coordinates appropriate treatments.
- Maintains tree inventory and treatment records.
- Identifies potentially hazardous trees and other tree-related problems.
- Uses GIS and maps to determine town right-of-way and responsibility for tree removal; educates and advises members of the public on tree removal.
- Coordinates tree removal activities with contractors and utilities; supervises tree removal by contractors.
- Drives a truck to plow snow and spread deicing material.
- Keeps roads clear of litter, glass and leaves, shovels and loads debris, cuts weeds and grass, cleans grounds.
- Loads and hauls gravel, soil, lumber and other materials.
- Assists in preparing asphalt, concrete and other street repair materials.
- Performs heavy manual work in building and repairing roads, streets, culverts and bridges.
- Repairs road shoulders, guardrails and fences.
- Digs and backfills ditches; cleans catch-basins and sewers, lays pipe.
- Utilizes shovel, rake and small hand tools.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to perform heavy manual work for extended periods in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Physical strength, stamina and coordination and good physical condition to permit performance of heavy manual work.
- Ability to perform overtime work related to winter storms and weekend and holiday work related to special events.
Required Equipment Operations:
- Operates bucket truck, wood chipper, chain saw, pruning saw, backpack blower, and various other hand and motorized tools.
- Graduation from high school.
- 2-3 months of experience operating a dump truck and bucket truck and performing related manual work.
- Must possess valid Connecticut arborist license.
- Must possess valid Connecticut CDL Class B license with air brake endorsement.
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline to submit applications is May 15, 2023.
Details are available on the Town of Southbury web page.