The Town of Southbury is hiring a full-time Animal Control Officer. This position is 40 hours per week with a salary range of $25.00-$28.00 per hour. The Town offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, sick and personal leave, defined contribution plan with match, medical, dental and vision insurance as well as life and long-term disability insurance.
The position is responsible for supervising the Animal Control Office, receiving and responding to complaints regarding domestic and wild animals and enforcing all relevant State and Town laws, ordinances and policies regarding animals.
- Receive and investigate complaints from the general public regarding animals.
- Maintain daily logs and complete incident reports, including domestic animal bites.
- Conduct neighborhood canvasses to ensure licensing and rabies immunization compliance and patrol streets in search of stray or roaming dogs.
- Assist the Department of Health with feline and wildlife complaints with possible rabies involvement in accordance with established rabies response protocol.
- Prepare and issue warnings, infractions, quarantines, misdemeanor summons, search and seizure warrants and arrest warrants as required to address rabies exposure incidents, repeat offenders, cruelty to domestic and companion animals, rabies vaccination violations and control of dangerous, nuisance, roaming animals and unlicensed dogs.
- Supervise Assistant Animal Control Officers and ensure proper training and performance.
- Assist with injured animals with potential for hazardous exposure; transport for veterinarian services as needed and arrange for removal and disposition of deceased animals within the jurisdiction.
- Manage the Animal Control office and pound; care for impounded animals including feeding, administering prescribed animal medications and cleaning and disinfecting the kennel areas.
- Maintain an active and successful adoption program for impounded and unclaimed animals.
- Prepare and administer annual operating budget for the department.
- Develop, coordinate and conduct public awareness sessions with youth and adult groups, emphasizing animal care and kindness and preventing dog bites.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in animal handling.
- Ability to assist with transporting injured animals for veterinarian care.
- Ability to understand and enforce laws, ordinances, departmental policies, rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and skill in maintaining kennels and providing daily animal care.
- Ability to produce and maintain clear, accurate and concise reports and documents.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships and deal diplomatically and effectively with other Town departments and the general public.
- Ability to handle suspected cases of rabies in all animals.
- Graduation from high school plus two years of specialized training in safe handling of animals or equivalent.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Must possess current Connecticut Animal Control Officer Certification or be willing to complete the Connecticut Animal Control Officer Certification Class within one year of appointment.
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline to submit applications is July 28, 2023.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.