The Town of Southbury is currently accepting applications for the position of Land Use Enforcement Officer.
This position is 35 hours/week and offers a comprehensive benefits package including paid vacation, sick and personal leave, defined contribution plan with Town match, medical, dental and vision insurance and life and long-term disability insurance. Salary is commensurate with experience. The position provides professional, administrative and field work duties involving enforcement of federal, state and local zoning and inland wetlands regulations and ordinances.
- Review applications to determine compliance with Southbury’s various land use regulations and ordinances.
- Serve as professional staff to the land use commissions and attend night meetings as required.
- Investigate zoning and wetland violation complaints, conduct field visits to evaluate compliance, issue violation notices and ensure violations are corrected.
- Review and approve permits based on applicable statutes and regulations.
- Assist the public with application and land use related questions.
- Utilize GIS to assist in determination of property features.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of state and local laws and regulations on zoning and land use and the ability to interpret and enforce regulations in a fair, firm and consistent manner.
- Basic knowledge of biology, botany and soil characteristics.
- Knowledge of GIS, Microsoft Office software and online permitting systems and ability to learn new systems as necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form and read and interpret maps, plans and legal terminology.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with Town officials, commissions and the public.
- Graduation from an accredited university with a bachelor’s degree in environmental science, biology or related field. Three (3) or more years of experience in land use, zoning, inland wetlands or soil erosion controls. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- CAZEO certification is preferred. Ability to obtain CAZEO is required.
- Certification by CT DEEP from Municipal Inland Wetlands Agency Comprehensive Training Program or obtain certification within one (1) year of hire.
- Certification by CT DEEP in Municipal Aquifer Protection or obtain certification within one (1) year of hire.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle license.
Deadline to Apply:
Deadline to submit applications is October 12, 2023.
Town of Southbury is EOE/ADA employer. For more job listings, please visit Employment Opportunities page.
Details are available on the Town of Southbury web page.