The City of Stamford will reopen — with strict restrictions — golf courses and tennis courts in Stamford on Friday, May 1st. These restrictions are guided by the United States Tennis Association’s recommendations for players and facilities, and standard practices at other golf courses reopened in the Northeast region. Restrictions include, but are not limited to:
- Maintain at least six feet apart from other players, do not make physical contact with other players.
- Players should consider not playing doubles.
- Avoid touching your face after handling a ball, racquet, or other equipment.
- If a ball from another court comes to you, do not touch it. Players can return the ball with a kick or hitting it with a racquet.
- After playing, wash your hands thoroughly or use hand sanitizer.
- Do not use the locker room or changing area, shower at home.
- No extracurricular or social activity should take place on tennis courts.
- All players should leave the facility immediately after play.
- Full list of restrictions for players available here: https://www.usta.com/en/home/stay-current/national/usta-statement-on-safety-of-playing-tennis-during-the-covid-19-v.html
- Full list of restrictions for facilities available here: https://www.usta.com/en/home/stay-current/national/playing-tennis-safely--facility-and-programming-recommendations.html
- Social distancing of six feet throughout all facilities
- Facemasks must be worn in situations where social distancing cannot be maintained.
- Golfers can show up no sooner than 20 minutes before tee time.
- Golf carts restricted to one person per cart. Carts, keys, and pull cart handles are to be cleaned and sanitized before sold again.
- Flagsticks are not to be touched or removed.
- Individuals not playing golf or picking up food from the establishment’s restaurant will be asked to leave.
- Full list of restrictions available on E. Gaynor Brennan’s website and Sterling Farms’ website.
- The United States Tennis Association previously recommended against playing tennis at all, this motivated the City of Stamford’s original decision to close tennis courts.
Other public golf courses in the region have reopened or plan to reopen in the coming week, including Greenwich, Danbury, East Haddam, Hamden, Middlefield, Monroe, Oxford, Wallingford, and Woodbridge — as well as Ossining and Yorktown in New York State.