ASD Fitness Center, a fitness center for individuals on the autism spectrum in Orange, CT announces a FREE workshop titled “Back to School and Beyond: How to Manage Your Child’s Special Education Journey” to empower parents of children with special needs.
The speakers are Lawrence W. Berliner, Special Education Law Attorney, and Dr. Shelley Pelletier, Neuropsychologist and School Psychologist. Parents will have an opportunity to ask questions of two experts in the field of special education.
This workshop will take place on September 17 at 6:30 p.m. at ASD Fitness Center, 307 Racebrook Road in Orange, CT. It is free and open to the public. Registration is recommended.
Parents will learn strategies to navigate the special education process for the new school year.
Topics will include:
- Your child’s basic educational rights.
- The Turning Point: What to do when your child is struggling and the school is not responding to your child’s needs.
- Demystifying the role of the Attorney, Neuropsychologist and the PPT Team.
- The evaluation process: School evaluation and the parents’ right to an IEE (Independent Educational Evaluation).
- Social /emotional and cognitive/learning issues.
Lawrence Berliner is a special education and disability rights law attorney with offices in Guilford, CT and Westport, CT. Attorney Berliner has been representing children with disabilities and their families for 36 years and founded the Law Office of Lawrence W. Berliner, LLC in 2011.
Dr. Shelley Pelletier is a pediatric neuropsychologist and school psychologist in private practice with Shoreline Pediatric Neuropsychological Services, LLC in Old Saybrook, CT. Dr. Pelletier works with children ages 3-21 and their families in situations that present a wide range of social-emotional, physical, cognitive, and learning issues.