The Westport Public Works Department announced today that the annual Household Hazardous Waste Day will be Saturday, April 24, 2021 from 9am – 2pm at the Greens Farm Railroad Station, Parking Lot #1, New Creek Road (between I-95 and the Metro-North Railroad tracks) in Westport. NOTE: New date and location.
Designed to provide a safe option to keep household hazardous wastes out of the municipal solid waste stream and protect land and water from potential contamination, Household Hazardous Waste Day is a NO CHARGE regional program for residents of Westport, Wilton, Norwalk, New Canaan, Darien, Stamford & Greenwich.
A general outline of household areas and the typical chemicals that may be found in homes:
Garage: paints, gasoline, kerosene, mineral spirits, spray paint, paint strippers, paint thinners, solvents, stains, turpentine, varnishes, wood preservatives, degreasers, etc.
Garden shed: fertilizers, fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, pesticides, etc.
General household: bleach, charcoal lighter, cleaning chemicals, drain cleaners, flammable liquids, mercury thermometers, moth balls, pet flea shampoos, photo chemicals, rug shampoos, spot removers, art supplies & paints, etc.
The following items are NOT acceptable: PROPANE TANKS, AMMUNITION, FLARES, EXPLOSIVES, and COMMERCIAL HAZARDOUS WASTE.
Before bringing hazardous household items to the collection site:
- Make sure items are clearly labeled and NEVER MIX CHEMICALS. Incompatible products may react, ignite, or explode, and mixed waste may become not be recyclable.
- Keep products in original labeled container.
- Place leaky containers in clear plastic bags.
- Tighten lids of all containers and pack items in sturdy cardboard boxes lined with newspaper.
- Put boxes in the trunk or in the back of the vehicle away from passengers.
- Leave pets and children home when bringing hazardous materials for collection.
- Keep your windows open and drive directly to the collection site.
- Do not smoke or eat while handling hazardous materials.
- Antifreeze, motor oil, batteries of any type, fluorescent bulbs, compact fluorescent bulbs and electronics can also be recycled at the Westport Transfer Station, 300 Sherwood Island Connector, Monday-Friday 7:00 am – 2:30 pm, Saturday 7:00 am – 12:00 pm.
COVID protocols will be in place this year, including:
- Residents must place ALL Household Hazardous Waste in the trunk or rear of their vehicles.
- Residents are asked to remain in their vehicle at all times.
- Only fuel containers will be returned to residents.
- Residents are asked to have patience. Lines may be longer than usual.
Those with additional questions may contact the Westport Public Works Department at 203-341-1793 or reference the webpage here.