The National Weather Service has confirmed that Westport was hit by a tornado during Storm Isaias at approximately 1:40 pm on August 4.
With a maximum wind speed of 95-105 mph, the tornado’s path spanned 50 yards. This discrete storm cell moved northwest from Long Island Sound and over Saugatuck Shores and produced a water spout that made landfall as an EF1 (Enhanced Fujita Scale “low”) tornado.
The tornado caused severe damage to a house on Surf Road with the roof being ripped off, as well as portions of the second floor’s supporting wall structure. This debris was tossed about 30-50 feet from the property. In addition, the tops of several pine trees in the front and side yard were either sheared or snapped off.
As of noon, 78 percent, or 9,800, of Westport’s Eversource customers remained without power, down from 81 percent late yesterday. There is no clear indication as to when full power restoration by Eversource will be complete. Yesterday, the First Selectman held a press conference on the steps of Town Hall with Governor Lamont, Senator Blumenthal and other State and Local elected officials related to the Eversource response. Watch the press conference here: http://nbcct.co/qvRiZ3t
The number of impassable roads is at 14. The Department of Public Works (DPW) expects that all will be made passable by tomorrow. Once that occurs, DPW will work on the passable roads that have hanging trees or other obstructions.This will be followed by a thorough clean-up throughout town.
Live wires remain the most pressing concern. Residents are reminded that Eversource manages the electrical grid. Town crews are unable to touch downed wires until they have been de-energized and/or deemed safe by Eversource. Eversource called for support from the National Guard, which has been deployed to Westport.
We urge residents to spread the word that the town radio station, WWPT 90.3FM is the best source for local updates for those without electricity or cell service. Since some residents remain unable to access the internet, the Town will utilize the Nixle text service to send out brief shorthand messaging.For those who are able, please continue to follow our press releases or go to www.westportct.gov for more detailed updates (follow the link to “Storm Isaias updates”).
Important Resources for Residents
- The Westport Yard Waste site will be open for disposal of yard waste until 3pm today and tomorrow (Sunday, August 9).
- The Westport Civilian Emergency Response Team (CERT) is hosting a charging station at the Westport Center for Senior Activities (WCSA) today until 3pm. This is open to all residents.Charging stations with Wi-Fi are also available at the rear of Westport Town Hall (110 Myrtle Avenue) and the Westport Weston Health District (180 bayberry Lane) The WCSA charging station for those over 60 will resume today after 3pm.
- The Longshore Golf Course and restrooms at Compo’s South Beach and ER Strait Marina remain closed. The marinas are open, but fueling pumps are not functioning.
- Non-potable (non-drinkable) water filling is available at all Westport firehouses and available to those in need for the purposes of flushing toilets and bathing.
- Westport Dispatch requests that residents not call in the same outage, downed trees or wires that have already been called in. Your information has been reported to Eversource.
Important Safety Information
- Remember to treat all wires as if they are live. Pedestrians, cyclists and joggers must use extreme caution. Children should not play near downed trees for risk of coming into contact with a hidden live line.
- Emergency calls on carbon monoxide alarms continue to be prevalent. Be aware of possible carbon monoxide poisoning from portable generators.
- All generators (portable and installed) should be used in well ventilated locations outside and at least 10-15 feet away from all doors, windows, and vent openings.
- Never use a generator in an attached garage, even with the door open.
** Sign up for Emergency Notifications by registering at www.nixle.com, or by simply texting 06880 to 888777 from your mobile phone**