Town Clerk Jeffrey Dunkerton reminds dog owners that June is dog licensing month. Licenses covering the term July 1, 2022, to June 30, 2023, may be obtained online from the Town Clerk’s department starting immediately. All dogs over six months old must be licensed.
Fees for dog licenses are $8 for neutered male or spayed female and $19 for male or female. Additional fees will apply for online applications. There is a $1 penalty per month for renewal licenses issued after June 30. A $75 infraction will be issued for any non-licensed dog and for any dog not wearing a current dog tag attached to a collar around its neck or body.
The Town of Westport is pleased to announce a new online option to apply for a dog license using the Westport Online Services Portal. Once registered in the portal, applicants can apply for a license from anywhere with an internet connection and make a payment online using credit, debit or E-check, and enjoy the ease of annual online renewals. Click here to learn how to license your dog using the Westport Online Services Portal.
Important information about applying online:
- You must register with the online services portal. If registered using Accela last year, please log into your account.
- Complete your online application at a desktop device and not with a mobile device.
- The following payment transaction convenience fees apply: Credit Card $1.50, Debit Card $3.50, E-check $.95.
- A mailing fee for postage and envelope of $1 will be applied.
- Contact information must be entered into the portal for the dog tag to be mailed. Make sure you enter your contact information in the portal and provide the correct address to which you request your dog license be mailed.
- Be sure to add accela.com to your safe sender email list.
- Have your spay/neuter and rabies certificates available to upload as a PDF. If these are not available, contact your veterinary office to obtain digital copies that can be uploaded into the portal.
Apply by US Mail or at Town Hall
The Town Clerk’s Office encourages applicants to apply online for dog licenses. Paper applications accompanied by a check payment will still be accepted. Mail or the drop box at the rear of Town Hall are the preferred methods of delivery. Dog licenses can be processed in the Town Clerk’s Office for those who need in person assistance.
Dog licenses may be obtained by mailing the application, payment, and required certificate(s) (all certificates will be returned with license), along with a self-addressed stamped return envelope to: Westport Town Clerk, 110 Myrtle Avenue, Westport, CT 06881. Click here to download the application.
Licensing your dog requires rabies immunization is up to date, so the dog owner must present a copy of the pet’s rabies certificate when obtaining a license. Connecticut law requires all dogs must wear their assigned tag. This will assist animal control and others to identify your dog should it become lost or run away.