Westport community pride wins big: “Staples Players” television profile - led by Staples alum - scores two Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for broadcast excellence.
Congratulations to Westport native Jamie Roth, a reporter at NBC New York, for earning two Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for Feature Reporting and Excellence in Video.
Recognizing the very best in broadcast journalism throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and across the nation, the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) today awarded NBC 4 New York six regional Edward R. Murrow Awards for journalistic excellence. These prestigious honors reflect the best in large market television news within the states of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
“WNBC’s journalists and news professionals generate impactful journalism. Whether they are keeping us safe and up-to-date during times of crisis - or shining an important spotlight on the unsung heroes in our community, their commitment to excellence has made our news team among the best in their field. These prestigious honors are well-deserved, and we congratulate all of our station’s winners on their success,” said Eric Lerner, NBC 4 New York President and General Manager.
NBC 4 New York’s six regional Edward R. Murrow honors were awarded in the following categories:
- Newscast: Recognizing NBC 4 New York’s 11pm newscast on Tuesday, December 10. This included expanded team coverage of the day’s events, encompassing the murder of Jersey City Detective Joseph Seals, the deadly shootout at a Jersey City kosher market, the subsequent law enforcement investigation and reaction from the Tri-State and beyond. The newscast can be accessed by clicking here.
- Breaking News Coverage: Recognizing NBC 4 New York’s Tuesday, December 10 breaking news coverage of the deadly shootout at a Jersey City kosher market. Gunshots were fired at the start of the live report, forcing reporter Adam Kuperstein and photojournalists Eddie Alonzo and Ivan Reyes to quickly relocate while Kuperstein continued to describe the rapidly unfolding situation to anchor David Ushery. The coverage can be accessed here. For additional details on how the story unfolded, click here to access the December 20 edition of the News 4 Debrief podcast.
- Feature Reporting: Recognizing NBC 4 New York reporter Jamie Roth’s November 29, 2019 story “The Messages,” spotlighting the Staples Players Drama Club in Westport, CT. The Staples High School actors were preparing for a performance of the iconic musical “Mamma Mia!” when they began receiving video messages from several stars of the long-running Broadway production.. The story was captured by photojournalist Michael DelGuidice and can be accessed here.
- Hard News: Recognizing investigative reporter Sarah Wallace, investigative producers Kristina Pavlovic-Sola and Evan Stulberger, and photojournalist David Hiller for the NBC 4 I-Team’s investigation of “microdosing” psychedelic drugs, exploring benefits and side effects of daily use. The investigation can be accessed here.
- Excellence in Sound: Recognizing the photojournalism of NBC 4 New York’s Michael DelGiudice for the November 11. 2019 story “Back on Track,” profiling Vietnam veteran Gary Baxter and his use of model trains to fight PTSD. The story was narrated by Reporter Andrew Siff, and can be accessed here. This is the third consecutive year that DelGiudice was honored in this regional category.
- Excellence in Video: Recognizing the photojournalism of NBC 4 New York’s Michael DelGiudice for the November 29. 2019 story “The Messages,” spotlighting the Staples Players Drama Club in Westport, CT. The story was narrated by reporter Jamie Roth and can be accessed here.
Since 1971, RTDNA has recognized outstanding work produced by radio, television and online news organizations around the world. The regional Edward R. Murrow Awards honor the best local broadcast and electronic journalism around the country. For a complete and detailed list of all the 2020 regional Edward R. Murrow Award winners, please access the RTDNA website here.
Today’s regional winners are automatically entered and advanced to the national Edward R. Murrow Awards competition, which will be judged in June. The national awards will be presented in October at the RTDNA Edward R. Murrow Awards Gala in New York City.
For more information on NBC 4 New York, visit NBCNewYork.com.