Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) - Applications Start Sept 5

Westport Human Services Director Elaine Daignault reminds income-eligible Westport residents to apply for the Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) starting September 5, 2023.

Connecticut's federally funded Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) helps low-income households with winter heating bills. Connecticut's Department of Social Services administers the program with local Community Action Agencies and municipal social services departments.

According to Daignault, "Westport residents that previously qualified for assistance through our office will receive application instructions in the mail. Residents wishing to apply for the first time may contact the Department of Human Services at 203-341-1050 or  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  to make an appointment.”

To qualify for CEAP, a household's gross annual income must be at or below 60% of the State Median Income (SMI). The maximum income for households is as follows:

  • Households of one (1) is $41,553
  • Households of two (2) is $54,338
  • Households of three (3) is $67,124
  • Households of four (4) is $79,910
  • Households of five (5) is $92,695

Households with individuals receiving the following benefits may automatically qualify: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Temporary Family Assistance (TFA / TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), State Supplement for the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (State Supp), or Refugee Cash Assistance. CEAP recipients may also be eligible for matching payment plans, protection from shut offs, and replacement and repairs for heating equipment and water heater(s). Recipients who heat with deliverable fuels like oil or propane may also be eligible for additional fuel deliveries.

Daignault encouraged residents to complete their applications early in the season to ensure they receive the full benefit. Westport Human Services application assistance is by appointment and may be done by mail or in person. Applicants must have recent copies of heating, electric, water, lease, or mortgage statements and other proof of income documents.

Go to Human Services at www.westportct.gov/humanservices to learn more about Town programs and services.


Follow Westport HamletHub